Rock Rimmon Comments

Viewing: 1-12 of 12
kletterwebbi

kletterwebbi - Apr 10, 2003 10:22 pm - Voted 10/10

Untitled Comment

Nice page on this small "mountain".

JScoles

JScoles - Apr 11, 2003 4:23 am - Voted 10/10

Untitled Comment

I am giveing you a four becuse you are a lucky bugger to have such a nice little rock in you back yard.



Anyway great page.

Beast - Jun 2, 2003 5:42 pm - Voted 10/10

Untitled Comment

This is one of those "You've got to be kidding" listings. I have rock climbed this wall for years and hung out with friends here many times.

desainme

desainme - Sep 2, 2003 6:07 pm - Voted 10/10

Untitled Comment

I had no clue that this rock existed. Amoskeag St. sounds like Debsconeag or Passadunkeag-locales around Katahdin. The shot with the "Red Pine?" sprays on the right side of the picture was great. Topo zone showes the rock nicely. Very well done



Mark

Jerry L

Jerry L - Mar 23, 2004 6:38 am - Voted 10/10

Untitled Comment

I particularly like your reference to Dunkin Donuts for a landmark. It seems that they are everywhere in New Hampshire. Nice page.

EastKing

EastKing - Mar 30, 2004 11:12 pm - Hasn't voted

Untitled Comment

Thank you very much for your vote. I just wanted to let you that the weekend you climbed Mt. Lafayette a woman died on the mountain due to whiteout conditions. From your story it seemed you experienced similiar conditions and almost had a similiar result.



Her and her husband became disoriented after reaching the summit. I believe they still have the story on the www.unionleader.com as well as nashuatelegraph.com. The accident has made major headline news for the past week. Apparently your sense of danger may have also been a prediction of what was to happen in future. After here this story, I am even more thankful for your vote.



I was also planning a trip up Mt. Lafayette for that weekend but the weather looked too sketchy. I hike up that mountain and drop of some flower at the summit to pay tribute to the tragedy.



Take care,

Eastking

Jerry L

Jerry L - Mar 31, 2004 1:57 pm - Voted 10/10

Untitled Comment

Wow. That's incredible. Having gone thru what we did, it's easy to see it happening. You should post that link on the News thread or the Eastern US thread. Thanks for alering me to the story. I can't wait to tell my buddy that wanted to overnight up there. My trip report didn't contain a lot of detail, but it was heavy duty for sure.

EastKing

EastKing - Apr 3, 2004 11:00 pm - Hasn't voted

Untitled Comment

I added a link to the Mt. Lafayette Page discribing this exact tragedy. You might want to check out the link.



-Eastking

Dean

Dean - Nov 16, 2005 12:04 am - Voted 10/10

Untitled Comment

Your reference to Dunkin donuts made me hungry so I went to a local donut shop and bought two of them.

Then I had to go hike for an hour up a local hill and it was all your fault.

EastKing

EastKing - Nov 16, 2005 3:58 am - Hasn't voted

Untitled Comment

Thanks for the vote!! There are at least 10 Dunkin Donuts and Manchester, NH (pop. 110,000). Even scarier is that there are about 25 Asian food restaurants (most pretty good) in the city.

hswiseman - Apr 17, 2011 2:12 pm - Hasn't voted

Free-Climb 1974

At 14, I lived in Manchester, NH and fancied myself a budding boulder and rock climber. I had scaled Rock Rimmon a number of times, riding my bike from North Manchester across the river to the Rock. I knew no other local climbers and always free-climbed. On this particular occasion I stumbled into what must now be considered one of the harder routes. (I didn't know from routes or ratings at the time). I climbed a thin crack up a steepish face and got myself pinned under an overhang about 40 feet below the 'summit'. I was stuck and scared. The descending option mean't getting back to the handhold crack on the slab which required a pure friction hold across the face. Ascending meant a risky lateral under the ledge with pretty lousy finger holds going sideways about 15 feet. At this point I'm nauseous and trembling, and a reasonable person would have hung on and hollered for help. Did I say I was 14? I jammed my fingers into the crack, a little more than a knuckles-worth, made a half-fist and twisted, like I had read about in some rock-climbing book from Yosemite. My feet kept trying to slip out and I remember hanging from my fingers alone once or twice until I got footed again. I cleared the overhang finally and climbed up an easy angle crack to the top. My hands were bloody and I sat there in an exhausted daze as the adrenaline bath dried up. Since then, I avoided climbs with obvious fall hazards. Clinging to the rock under that ledge it occurred to me that I was not the next Yves Chouinard. Since then I have had many great times in country, but none where I had to hang on by my fingernails.

EastKing

EastKing - Apr 18, 2011 10:05 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Free-Climb 1974

Wow!! I am very glad you made it out alive on that climb. I think I know the exact location of your free climb. I don't know how you made it but very thankful you did. Your story might make a good Trip Report!

Viewing: 1-12 of 12
Return to 'Rock Rimmon' main page