Sidley, Mount Comments

Viewing: 1-13 of 13
Klenke

Klenke - Jan 5, 2006 12:37 pm - Voted 10/10

Untitled Comment

I'll give you four stars. You've captured just about all that is possible for the peak itself. Maybe a little more information on most viable approaches (even if it's your supposition). How far from the South Pole station? What kind of difficulties in travel? Seems like an approach from McMurdo Station on Ross Island would be easiest.



By the way, you need a negative symbol "-" for your longitude. The interactive map shows it coming up on the wrong side of Erebus. Sidley is about here.



And now I see the reason for making this page (goes with the Seven Volcanoes group you suggested).



taikavuorimies - Jan 5, 2006 12:42 pm - Hasn't voted

Untitled Comment

Thanks.



I'll do my best to add this information, plus some general tips for travelling in Antarctica.



OK, maybe the "Volcanic Seven Summits" is not such a good suggestion for a group. I would have been a nice collection if Mount Sidley was more accessible. Peakbaggers would love to climb Damavand instead of Everest (-:

Klenke

Klenke - Jan 5, 2006 12:47 pm - Voted 10/10

Untitled Comment

I edited my vote post to add more information. See above.

taikavuorimies - Jan 5, 2006 12:52 pm - Hasn't voted

Untitled Comment

OK, I fixed the longitude. It makes sense now, the wrong location was just some flat ice field (-: Now you can actually see the volcano.

Saintgrizzly

Saintgrizzly - Jan 5, 2006 2:49 pm - Voted 10/10

Untitled Comment

Again, as with the Erebus page, nice writing!



Since Antarctica is classified as a true desert, what kind of annual precipitation does it get--how much snowfall? My understanding is that the harsh conditions of the place come more from the extreme cold and wind--often both at the same time--than any kind of abundant snowfall (and, of course, the long dark during winter). Do you have information as to whether or not the ice is receding in this part of the world?



And what is the average elevation of the continent?



Fascinating place! Thanks for posting.

taikavuorimies - Jan 5, 2006 3:00 pm - Hasn't voted

Untitled Comment

Again, thanks for the vote!



And thanks for the questions. I'll add this information soon.



The average elevation of the continent is 2500 metres (8200 feet).



The average precipitation on Antarctica is less than 2 incher per year. Snow is mostly blown from one place to another.

The amont of ice is increasing on Antarctica (unlike the Arctic). I think the sea ice is increasing by about 3% per decade.

CharlesD

CharlesD - Jan 6, 2006 11:08 am - Voted 10/10

Untitled Comment

Another nice one. Usually, we insist that submitters have actually climbed the mountain, but it this case it seems fair. The page is thin, but, as you point out, Sidley is largely unexplored. Has it been climbed at all?

taikavuorimies - Jan 6, 2006 11:20 am - Hasn't voted

Untitled Comment

Thanks for the vote.



It's strange but I still can't find out whether it has been climbed. There are some papers on its geology and mineralogy, so I suspect someone has been there, but maybe they were some scientists and were taken there by helicopters. I'll do a detailed research (-:

Tomek Lodowy

Tomek Lodowy - Jan 6, 2006 6:32 pm - Voted 10/10

Untitled Comment

Fascinating place !

Damien Gildea

Damien Gildea - Jan 14, 2006 12:19 pm - Voted 10/10

Untitled Comment

Good job, taikavuorimies.



I can get you some more info about the first ascents of both Erebus and Sidley when I return home and have access to a copy of my book, "The Antarctic Mountaineering Chronology".



An interesting note is that US Navy pilots flying around in the 1950s looking for Antarctica´s highest mountain, which was to be called ´Vinson´ even though they were not sure where it was, flew past Sidley in clouds and reported it to be over 6000m high ! Obviously this was later rectified and Vinson located elsewhere.



D

taikavuorimies - Jan 23, 2006 9:43 am - Hasn't voted

Untitled Comment

Thanks for the vote!



I would appreciate any additional information. Especially about the first ascent of this mountain.



Take care!

Baarb

Baarb - Jul 24, 2006 5:34 pm - Hasn't voted

Tall stories....

Is it known what the thickness of the ice is around Mount Sidley? While the height above sea level may be one value, the actual height may be somewhat different...!

taikavuorimies - Jul 30, 2006 7:51 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Tall stories....

Well, according to the map and the few available images, there is a certain amount of exposed rock on Mount Sidley. It probably means that the actual height is the quoted one, or something close to it. It looks like the crater rim is exposed, and the highest point is probably somewhere on it.

The ice around the volcano might be pretty thick - perhaps up to several kilometers. I don't really have any clue about that. But that matters only for the prominence of the mountain, not for its altitude.

I hope that answer made some sense (-:

Viewing: 1-13 of 13
Return to 'Sidley, Mount' main page