Monitor Ridge

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 46.19247°N / 122.19716°W
Additional Information Route Type: Summer - hike ; Winter - hike and Basic Snow Climb
Additional Information Time Required: Most of a day
Additional Information Difficulty: Walk-up, light scramble
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach

From I-5, take exit 21 for Woodland, WA. Drive east to Cougar, WA about 29 miles.  A few miles past Cougar is the turnoff for Climbers Bivouac Road 83. Turn left there and follow signs for Climbers Bivouac. You'll go just over 3 miles on Road 83, take a left on Road 8100 and go about a mile and a half, then take a right on gravel road 830 for about 2.5 to 3 miles to the turnaround. The trail starts just next to a small shed/restrooms at the turnaround.

Remember, you need a permit to climb and obtaining that can be difficult (they fill up far ahead). Depending on when you are climbing, the method to obtain a permit is different. Click HERE to see the particulars.

Route Description

This is the most popular and crowded route to the summit in the summer. The first 2.1 miles of the trail are a hike through forests. When you cross Loowit Trail there is a toilet on the right. After this the trail follows the rocky ridge and is marked by large wooden posts almost to the summit. You'll pass a couple tripod monitors on the ridge that give it its name. After the last post, just follow the ridge to the summit. In the summer, it's a dusty crowded hike. In the winter, you'll want crampons and an ice axe or be sure-handed with some trekking poles.



Total distance is 4.5-5 miles one way with 4600 feet of elevation gain.

Essential Gear

Summer-none needed
Winter-crampons and ice axe/trekking poles

Miscellaneous Info

If you have information about this route that doesn't pertain to any of the other sections, please add it here.

Additions and CorrectionsPost an Addition or Correction

Viewing: 1-3 of 3
Alpinist

Alpinist - Jan 20, 2017 10:50 pm - Hasn't voted

Broken link

FYI - the permit link is broken...

Brian Jenkins

Brian Jenkins - Jan 21, 2017 2:39 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Broken link

Thanks much, I've corrected and updated it.

kw - Sep 19, 2020 5:15 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Broken link

Permit link is once again not working, recreation.gov has most of the info at a new page here: https://www.recreation.gov/permits/4675309

Viewing: 1-3 of 3


Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.