south east route

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 47.10910°N / 12.34520°E
Additional Information Route Type: Basic Glacier Climb
Additional Information Time Required: Two days
Additional Information Difficulty: F
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach


The beginning is the same as the east route:

From the Matreier Tauernhaus (1512 m) you have to walk 6 km or take a taxi bus (also possible with horses) to the pittoresce hamlet of Innergschloess (1689 m). After a further 1 km walk you have to follow marked route Nr. 921 to the Loebbentoerl (2770 m). As the path goes over a long time directly on the top of the moraine, you have a fantastic view over the impressive Schlatenkees and the nearest glacier peaks of Hoher Zaun and Schwarze Wand plus the Kristallwand, that you will climb toworrow first, (3 h)
The following path crosses some couloirs, where some cables make it easy for everybody to reach the
Badener Huette (2608 m, 48 places, guided Juli to mid September), 1,5 h, together 4,5 h

Route Description


Route Nr. 924 follows the north side of the Frosnitzenkees an the the SE-ridge to the Kristallwand (3329 m); marked route, 2,5 h.
Fromt this summit you have an impressive view over the following route: After a very short descent the "Hohe Gletscherdach" starts, where the Mullwitzkees, the Schlatenkees and the Rainerkees meet. For this 5 km glacier-walk towards the Grossvenediger the weather must be safe as in case of fog you would need a GPS and in case of a thunderstorm there ist no shelter. If you are a peakbagger, you can add the 3000 m peaks of Hoher Zaun (3457 m), Schwarze Wand (3511 m) and Rainerhorn (3560 m) to your collection. At the Rainertoerl (3422 m) you meet the south route from the Defereggerhaus which leads over the highest part of the Schlatenkees ("Oberer Keesboden") to the summit; 2,5 h, together 5 h without the additional peaks.
If you go down the eastern route without sleeping another night in the hut, you have had a long day.

This route is not recommendable with ski: The ascent to the Badener Huette would be dangerous, the hut closed and the Hohe Gletscherdach only fun for a cross-country-skier.

Essential Gear


Rope, ice axe and crampons necessary in the summer season.

Miscellaneous Info


If you have information about this route that doesn't pertain to any of the other sections, please add it here.


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.