Spirit Lake Route

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 40.80940°N / 109.9735°W
Additional Information Route Type: Scramble
Additional Information Time Required: Half a day
Additional Information Difficulty: Class 2
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach

From Fort Bridger (WY), exit off I-80 and take Highway 414 south through the tiny communities of Mountain View and Lone Tree. At Lone Tree, the highway truns east. Follow the highway (SR 414) to between mile markers 132 and 133 and turn south onto FR 221. This is just before McKinnon. Stay on FR 221 all the way to Hickerson Park. At Hickerson Park, turn south on FR 001 and drive it seven miles to Spirit Lake. The road is usually in fair condition for passenger cars.

Route Description

Note:  Vanman798 updates much of the information from 2021.  I haven not climbed the peak since the 1991.

Park at the trailhead for Tamarack Lake and head southeast at 125 degrees into the trees - there is no trail to follow from the parking lot to the summit of Daggett Peak. After about a half mile of climbing you should notice a small lake to the west (hikers right). This small lake is split by the north to south border of Summit and Daggett counties. Continue going up hill through the trees in the same SE direction until in about another mile and a half you reach the Daggett Peak North East ridge. Turn right and head SW up the ridge gaining about 850 vertical feet to the 12,046 summit of Daggett Peak. The summit of Daggett peak is approximately on the Daggett Co, Duchesne Co line at N 40.81532 W 109.99413.

The total elevation gain from the parking lot is just shy of 1900 ft, and the distance covered to Daggett Peak is 3.5 miles.

From Daggett Peak to Eccentric Peak is another 2.2 miles and you have to drop down to 11,200 feet (an 846 foot drop), and the climb up to 12,276 feet (1076 feet). Head SxSE (149.8°) to the 11,200 foot saddle, then climb east (80.9°) to Eccentric Peaks survey monument located at N 40.80934 W 109.97405.

With a steady pace, and a rest on both Daggett and Eccentric peaks a reasonably fit hiker will need six hours to complete the round trip. 150 yards North East ( 52.5°) of the Eccentric Peak survey monument is another survey monument labeled Chepeta Peak and stamped with a 12,267 foot elevation. This hike is a bit of a slog and not as cenic as some other parts of the Uintas, but it's still more scenic than the route from the south.  

The route is about 2500 feet of total elevation gain and about 6.8 miles round trip.

If you're after an all day hike, return to "Dagget Peak", but follow the ridge west from the peak. Follow the ridge west for about 2.5 miles (from "Dagget Peak") until a broad spur takes off to the north. Follow the spur north to McCoy Park. From here a trail heads east back to Spirit Lake, passing along scenic Tamarack Lake along the way.

 Spirit Lake Route to...Click for Full Size.

 

Essential Gear

A good pair of boots is needed.



Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.