South Ridge from Squaw Basin

South Ridge from Squaw Basin

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 40.68750°N / 110.6298°W
Additional Information Route Type: Mostly a trail hike, with some easy boulder hoping
Additional Information Time Required: A few days
Additional Information Difficulty: Class 2
Sign the Climber's Log

Getting There

This route to the summit of Cleveland Peak begins at the Rock Creek Trailhead, just below the Upper Stillwater Dam and Reservoir.

To reach the trailhead take U.S. Highway 40 to the town of Duchesne, Utah. From Duchesne proceed north on Utah State Route 87 for ±15.5 miles. As the road makes a bend to the right (east) turn left on State Highway 134 and proceed north ±3 miles to the town of Mountain Home.

In the center of Mountain Home turn left (west) on Park Avenue (6750 North), at the sign indicating Upper Stillwater Reservoir. Follow the narrow and winding (but paved) road for ±22 miles. Just before reaching the end of the road at Upper Stillwater Dam turn left at the sign indicating the Rock Creek trailhead, and proceed ±0.25 miles to the trailhead parking area. The trailhead is located near the northwest corner of the parking area.

Stats

One-Way Hiking Distance: 12.5 miles
Elevation Gain: 4,469 ft.
Avg. Gain per Mile: 358 ft.
Trailhead Elevation: 8,115 ft.
Summit Elevation: 12,584 ft.

Route Description

For the most part this route to Squaw Basin and Cleveland Peak follows a well maintained and easy to follow trail, although there are a number of trail junctions which will be encountered along the way.

From the trailhead the trail contours around the west end of Upper Stillwater Dam, then continues to the far north end of the reservoir. Beyond the reservoir the trail rolls along through forested terrain for another mile or so, to a trail junction (±2.5 miles from TH). Take the right fork which curves east and south, then crosses the Rock Creek river on a well constructed bridge.

Now on the east side of the river the trail continues north until crossing the East Fork Rock Creek on another sturdy bridge. A short distance later another trail junction is reached (±4.0 miles from TH). Take the right fork which immediately begins climbing the slopes to the east via a number of switchbacks.

The trail levels off at ±9,800 feet and continues northeast for a mile or so, passing a large meadow on the right. Just beyond the far east end of the meadow another trail junction is reached (±6.75 miles from TH). Bear left as the trail begins climbing the slopes to the north, where it soon arrives at another trail junction (±7.0 miles from TH).

At this trail junction the left fork continues north another ±2.5 miles, where it ends at lower Rock Lake, while the right fork heads east and continues another ±2.0 miles to Squaw Lake. Either lake will make a suitable location for a base camp in Squaw Basin.

From either Rock Lake or Squaw Lake, Cleveland Peak will be visible as the large roundish hump to the northeast. There is no trail so head cross country towards the peak until arriving at the base of the south ridge, roughly 1.5 miles from either Squaw or Rock Lakes.

Begin ascending the south ridge, or alternatively the talus slopes further to the west. This climbing is relatively steep but generally involves no more than easy boulder hopping. Use caution as many of these rocks are loose. The ridge gradually levels off until finally arriving on the large and nearly flat summit. The total distance from either Rock or Squaw Lakes is ±2.5 miles.

Essential Gear

This is an easy (although long) trail hike, with some easy boulder hopping - no special equipment will be required.

The meadows surrounding the peak are prime mosquito habitat - insect repellent is a must until late summer.

Water is abundant throughout the area - bring a suitable purification method.


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.