"Mt Carl Heller" East Ridge TR 2022

"Mt Carl Heller" East Ridge TR 2022

Page Type Page Type: Trip Report
Date Date Climbed/Hiked: Sep 15, 2022

Mt Carl Heller East Ridge TR

It's been 30 years since R. J. Secor described the George Creek approach to Heller as "... one of the classis bushwhacks of the High Sierra." I'm sure it's become a lot easier because two weeks after our climb I don't remember it being difficult. I mainly remember the perfect granite and exposure along the beautiful East Ridge.

Using driving beta from MP, John and I drove 8.1mi north from Lone Pine then 9.2mi west on dirt roads, in a Subaru Forester, to the unmarked trailhead. We then shouldered 24lb packs and hiked for 6 hours to a flat spot along "Carl Heller Creek" at 3175M. We found a collection of old cans here; possibly Carl Heller's 1966 campsite??

The Bushwack: To make the 1200M hike to 3175M we crossed the creek twice in quick succession at the waterfall (2150M) but stayed on the south side for the exposed 3rd class cliff at 2220M. At 2730M we crossed to the north side of George Creek where there is a campsite with a fire ring. From here we hiked up slabs keeping the creek in sight to our left. As John pointed out during our hike, if you hit thick bushwhacking, go back 40 feet and try a different way.

The next morning we awoke to still, clear conditions and hiked 1 hour past "Carl Heller Lake" at 3420M to the toe of the East Ridge. The climbing started at approx 3500M and for 3.5hrs we scrambled the clean, exposed 1/2mi long ridge with climbing moves almost to the very summit at 4031M. Rigurous route finding the whole way!



We decided not to descend the E. Ridge and instead dropped down the south side of the peak to the slabs SE of Wallace Lake. We re-filled with water, and did the strenuous, unpleasant hike back uphill to the huge saddle .3 miles north of Vacation Pass. I couldn't believe how slow I was moving up 1.5hrs from Wallace. This added ±1750' to our summit day; yikes. Then we flew downhill, back to camp; 10hrs r/t. 

It took us 4.5hrs to get back to the TH the next day and my legs hurt for the next three days! Totals: 20.5hrs moving; ±8500ft; ~13miles.



Comments

No comments posted yet.



Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

Mt Carl HellerTrip Reports