Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 39.02130°N / 119.474°W
Additional Information County: USA
Activities Activities: Scrambling
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Elevation: 9005 ft / 2745 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Mt. Como is situated in Lyon County in western Nevada. It is the 4th tallest peak in the Pine Nut Mountains, shorter than only Mt Siegal, and Oreana and Galena Peaks, all to the south. It is an easy class 2 climb from just about any direction. The Peak commands fine views in all directions. Most stunning of which is the expansive panorama of the Sierra Crest to the west. On a clear day one can easily make out Matterhorn Peak to the south, Mt. Rose to the north and dozens of other peaks in between.

The flora is generally consistent with that of a high desert environment. Sage brush and single leaf Pinion Pine dominate the lower slopes. Higher up, the vegetation thins and is predominantly low sage brush.

The Pine Nut Mountains are a popular destination for off-road vehicles. There is also lots of evidence of the areas mining history. Neither of these activities detracts from the beauty of the area. There is plenty of open space for everyone. The Peak itself is quite remote, requiring almost 16 miles of off-road driving to reach it.

Getting There

Mt. Como OverviewTo reach Mt. Como, you will need to navigate about 16 miles of dirt roads. These roads are for the most part in pretty good shape. Some however, are not. High ground clearance vehicles are recommended.

Getting to the peak can be a pretty fun adventure in itself. It requires approximately 15 miles of off-road driving. Four wheel vehicles aren't absolutely necessary but recommended. In the wetter seasons I wouldn't venture on these back roads without 4wd as it can get very muddy. I'd highly recommend at least a high clearance vehicle. I've included some of the more critical waypoints for anyone that has GPS available.

Mt. Como is typically accessed via Johnson Lane in the Carson Valley. Johnson Lane is located about 5 miles north of Minden, NV and 7 miles south of the Hwy 10 and 395 intersection. This route to the trailhead primarily travels on Sunrise Pass road. Most maps will show Sunrise Pass road. I suggest you study your maps before heading out.

    Directions
  • Heading east, follow Johnson Lane until it ends, about 4 miles (N39 01.610 W119 42.321). At the end of the pavement, the road veers left into a off-road vehicle staging area.
  • A few hundred yards further, take a right turn (N39 01.625 W119 42.275) and continue on.
  • After another 1/3 of a mile, take another right turn (N39 01.628 W119 42.236) and continue on for about 1 mile until you reach Sunrise Pass road.
  • Take a left at this point (N39 01.066 W119 40.558). Keep in mind there is no signage what so ever, but the route is clearly the road most traveled.
  • Continue on Sunrise Pass Road for another 1 mile, ignoring any spur roads. At this point, make a right turn (N39 01.118 W119 40.152).
  • You will remain on this part of Sunrise Pass for an additional 8.15 miles, passing Mineral Peak on your right.
  • The road descends near Mineral Peak, marking the next turn off of Sunrise Pass Road (N39 04.167 W119 33.025).
  • The road begins to deteriorate here and 4wd may be necessary. Continue on this single track (sometimes heavily rutted) road for another 5.25 miles or so.
  • You can either park here or turn left and risk really messing up the paint on your car by following the very faint 4wd road. This road is located at N39 00.871 W119 30.652

Red Tape and Contacts

Mt Como is located in BLM land so there are very few restrictions. There are no fees or permits required.
Helpful contacts:

Bureau of Land Management
Carson City Field Office
5665 Morgan Mill Road
Carson City, Nevada 89701
775-885-6000

Lyon County Sheriff
30 Nevin Way
Yerington, NV 89447
Phone 775.463.6600 Fax 775.463-6610
E-mail sheriff@lyon-county.org or bfarler@lyon-county.org

Camping

There are no developed campgrounds near the peak. There are however plenty of locations just off the road that can serve as campsites. These sites have no amenities. Just rock fire rings and the occasional abandoned car or appliance with the requesite bullet holes.

External Links

Please let me know if there are any links with additional information on the peak.

Carson City BLM Office

Lyon County Sherrif


Additions and CorrectionsPost an Addition or Correction

Viewing: 1-1 of 1
McCannster

McCannster - Jan 6, 2023 3:21 pm - Voted 10/10

Wrong county

Mt Como is in Douglas County, not Lyon County.

Viewing: 1-1 of 1


Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.