Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 47.52100°N / 123.2581°W
Additional Information Elevation: 5944 ft / 1812 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview


Mt. Ellinor is one of the southern-most peaks in the Olympics, and is Mt. Washington's closest neigbor. A surveyor by the name of George Davidson named the mountain after his boss' youngest daughter. (Davidson also named "The Brothers" after her two brothers, and Mt. Constance after Ellinor's oldest sister.) On a reasonably clear day, Ellinor can offer a variety of incredible views of all the major Cascade peaks, as well as close-range views of neighboring Mt. Washington, Stone, Pershing, and a glimpse of Mt. Olympus in the distance.

The distance from the "lower" trailhead is 6 miles. After about 1/3 the way, the trail opens up to a long, straight avalanche chute that will lead you to the summit basin. Once you reach the basin, head SW to the "true" summit. Despite the reasonably low elevation, exercise caution while on the steep avalanche chute as well as the final pitch from the basin to the summit. There are abrupt ledges in almost all directions on the summit. This little mountain offers one of the best glissades early in the season. Elevation gain is roughly 3200ft. Allow 3.5 to 4 hours for the trip to the summit.

Getting There


1. Drive on US 101 to Hoodsport.
2. Turn West onto Lake Cushman Road, and drive about 8 miles, until you come to a 3-way stop.
3. Turn right onto FS Road 24, then left on on Fs Road 2419 (a.k.a., Big Creek Road).

NOTE: At about 5 miles, you can stop and take the lower trailhead, or head on up about another mile to the upper trailhead. Early in season, the road can be inaccessible without 4WD and good ground clearance, to get to the upper trailhead.

Red Tape


A NW Trails Forest Pass is required.

When To Climb


Climbing is typically done from May to October, but climbing Ellinor in the winter can add lots of fun and excitement, plus you can avoid the Spring and Summer crowds.

Camping


Camping is allowed just about anywhere, but is rarely done since this is a day climb.

Mountain Conditions


For latest conditions, contact the Hood Canal Ranger District at: (360) 877-5254.

Wildlife Info


If you have wildlife pictures, you can post them here.

External Links

Additions and CorrectionsPost an Addition or Correction

Viewing: 1-4 of 4
robertjoy

robertjoy - May 3, 2013 2:11 pm - Hasn't voted

Distance correction

The standard route to the summit is 3miles. I believe that is the correct figure for the lower trail head. From the upper trail head the distance is about 1.5mi. Washington Trails Assn. reports the distance ROUND TRIP is 6.2mi. from the lower trail head, and half that from the upper.

paule

paule - Sep 27, 2013 12:37 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Distance correction

No, that is not correct. The "upper" trailhead is believed to be 3 miles, but I have done both. WTA states that it is 3 miles, but it shaves off about 2 miles at best. In any case, as I have stated, from the lower trailhead it is 6 miles. If you want to haggle the difference between 6 miles and 6.2 miles, then perhaps you know better than anyone, and have no problem posting a route.

cbcbd

cbcbd - Mar 9, 2021 9:53 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Distance correction

I'm confused. It appears the roundtrip from upper TH is approx 3mi, roundtrip from lower 6mi, correct? I believe this is what the OP was getting at.

JoelSkok

JoelSkok - Mar 11, 2023 6:20 am - Voted 10/10

Re: Distance correction

Don't be confused. Hire a guide at the convenience store in Hood sport. They seem to be milling around there fairly often and charge reasonably high but really worth it. Ask for Bob, if he is available. He is has a vast trove of knowledge--especially about local bear/human incidents over the last several years.

Viewing: 1-4 of 4


Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.