Mt. Evans Northeast Face

Mt. Evans Northeast Face

View looking directly up the northeast face of Mt. Evans (CO) from the road. This trail is easily found after a short hike from Summit Lake along the road to the summit. Just beyond the saddle in the center of the image is the summit parking lot. It's higher than it looks: The altitude change from where the photographer is standing to the saddle is roughly 1500 feet. Imaged in August 2006.

Mark Doiron
on Aug 19, 2006 1:23 pm
Image Type(s): Hiking
Image ID: 217078

Comments

Post a Comment
Viewing: 1-2 of 2
scraig

scraig - Oct 8, 2007 9:29 am - Hasn't voted

Could not find this trail...

Attempted to find this trail on 10/02/2007 and again on 10/03/2007. Has it been closed???

Mark Doiron

Mark Doiron - Oct 8, 2007 9:48 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Could not find this trail...

Hmm. I don't know. It should be easy to find the trailhead--I was standing on the road when I took that image.

When we hiked it last year a ranger encouraged us to take a different route, explaining that they had upgraded it recently. But, the other way was much longer and we were in a hurry to continue our drive back to Oklahoma, and concerned about the looming weather. This route offered a better bail-out if the weather turned. Also, most of those who took the other route (Mt. Evans Loop), used this to quickly exit the top of Mt. Evans afterwards.

Since this trail is not very obvious as you ascend, maybe the park service wanted to close it to protect the plant-life. I'd suggest checking with a ranger at the Summit Lake parking lot if you're back that way again.

--mark d.

Viewing: 1-2 of 2