Page Type Page Type: Trip Report
Location Lat/Lon: 44.02440°N / 71.8314°W
Date Date Climbed/Hiked: Feb 28, 2002
Mt. Mooselauke. (May 27th,...


This mountain was much easier that first anticipated. The Gorge Brook had nothing short of incredible views and the hike was even easier that smaller White Mountains. It was all YDS Class 1 and made for a more pleasant hike than I was expecting. Mt. Mooselauke did have some challenging sections but was nothing short of fantastic. I was first highly disappointed when I made it to the top because it was foggy. But I had the patience to wait and beauty shined out clearly around me. I could see Mt. Washington and Mt. Lafayette easily in the distant. I could Vermont faintly in the distance as well. Mt. Mooselauke carries some impressive views being that the mountain goes well above timberline. Hey the tundra looked nice. And so did the surrounding mountains. The views from toward the east give an almost Rocky Mountain feeling.

The ultimate bonus was the fact that I had over 30 minutes of complete solitude on this mountain. The massive lines of people hadn’t yet made it to the top or even come close (it was 9 a.m. The people hadn’t even got up.) I know this is an extremely rare moment in the White Mountains, but I am glad for that opportunity. Oh yeah, double bonus. The trail only had one steep section (not precariously though). I wasn’t too impressed with the Carriage Road though. I though I was walking on a highway. Still though I am impressed with this mountain and will come again many times. It took 5 ½ hours (1 ½ enjoying the solitude and view on the top). What a winner.



Comments

Post a Comment
Viewing: 1-2 of 2
Eman2005

Eman2005 - Jan 23, 2009 11:57 am - Hasn't voted

Steep

Have you seen the cascade route on the Northern side? It is pretty steep.

EastKing

EastKing - Jan 24, 2009 2:26 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Steep

From what I have read the Beaver Brook Route is especially steep. I actually wanted to try that route before heading west but never made it back. I should be going back to NH in 2010 so I might take another shot.

Viewing: 1-2 of 2


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

Mount MoosilaukeTrip Reports