Mt. St Helens

Mt. St Helens

Page Type Page Type: Trip Report
Activities Activities: Mountaineering

Add Heading He

Started our ascent at 7am from Marble Mountain snopark. It took about 45 minutes to get through the forest until it opened up. The trail steepens as you make your way to the start of the boulder field. The snow level was high up the mountain this year so the boulder field was much more rough. This route is called "Worm Flows" and doesn't require a permit from Nov-Apr 1st. You do have to fill out a free climbing pass at the trail head if you'll be traveling above 4800ft. After the boulder field you'll want to put on the crampons as it gets pretty steep. It's mind over matter at this point and you just have to follow other footprints to the top. The summit is gorgeous! Looking into the aftermath of the 1980 eruption is very surreal. Take some photos and get a bite to eat but don't spend too much time at the top as you still have to get down. The way down is much quicker since you can "glissade" slide on your rear back down to the boulder field. All in all, the whole trip should take about 8 hours for a person in decent shape. A bit less in summer since snow slows you down. It's a great climb for a beginner but will push you to your limits!!!

External Links

Add External Links text here.

Comments

Post a Comment
Viewing: 1-1 of 1
JoelSkok

JoelSkok - Sep 19, 2015 9:19 pm - Voted 10/10

Nice trip report

Reading your account only bolsters my desire to get back there and do it again---would be a startlingly new experience on the same mountain for me. I was fortunate enough to climb it before the devastion in 1980 and would love to see for myself the panorama you describe here.See what it looked like for me http://www.summitpost.org/mt-st-helens-pre-1980-eruptive-era/812780

Viewing: 1-1 of 1