Mt. Williamson in early April

Mt. Williamson in early April

Page Type Page Type: Trip Report
Date Date Climbed/Hiked: Apr 8, 2014
Activities Activities: Mountaineering
Seasons Season: Spring

Add Heading Here

On April 5, I started at Symmes Creek trailhead at 10am. At about 11am when I reached the point where the trail turns away from the canyon and starts climbing to the left, towards the saddle, it started snowing lightly.  About half way up the saddle the trail completely disappeared under snow. I put on snow shoes and just went straight up. There was no snow on the other side of the saddle and I almost haven't seen it again until the Anvil. At 6pm I reached a suitable camping spot in Mahogany flat and stopped there.

On April 6 I started at 10am. I followed the trail until that point just below the Anvil, where it was washed away by last summers flood. I climbed along the gulley produced by the flood  until it got shallow enough so I could cross it. I did not see any trail or human footprints since. At the Anvil the snow was several feet deep and I put on snow shoes.  I did not part with them until  Shepard Pass. After getting out of the forest I turned left and started climbing along the left side of the gulch. This helped to avoid impassable fields of stones and boulders. I went that way until the ridge which is above the Pothole. Here I made a mistake and started climbing over that ridge just to encounter impassable field of boulders. I returned back and  set a camp at the tree line above Pothole.  It was 5pm.

On April 7 I started at 10am. I went to the right side of the gulch and stayed on the right side until Shepard pass. I followed rabbit footprints over Shepard pass. To climb the final portion I had to replace my snowshoes with crampons.  At around 5pm I reached the rim of Williamson bowl and camped there. There were rabbit footprints all around.

On April 8 I started at 9am towards the summit. I left snowshoes at camp since the snow was firm. I crossed the Bowl, put on crampons  and climbed the chute on the West face of the mountain. I left crampons and ice axe at the bottom of the chimney and used just one trekking pole to climb the final hill. I saw a live mouse at the base of that hill. I reached the summit around 3pm. Returned to the camp at 8pm. Some birds were chirping. However, during all of my trip I haven't met any two-legged without feathers.

On April 9 I descended to Mahogany flat and on April 10 to the trailhead.


Post a Comment
Viewing: 1-2 of 2

monghu - May 29, 2014 6:00 pm - Voted 9/10

Great trip

It was a long trip. Did you melt snow? Do you have Mt. Williamson pic from the saddle?


Simkin - May 30, 2014 11:48 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Great trip

Melted snow mostly. However I crossed a creek in Mahogany flat and another one on the Anvil. I clearly saw the mountain from the saddle, but did not make a foto.

Viewing: 1-2 of 2