My 1st State Highpoint

Page Type Page Type: Trip Report
Location Lat/Lon: 39.02190°N / 102.037°W
Date Date Climbed/Hiked: Oct 13, 2000
Activities Activities: Hiking

My 1st State Highpoint

My GrandmaPhoto of my Grandma when we visited Mt. Sunflower.
I was driving through Goodland, KS on my way to a military school. I stopped to see my Grandma for a few days. The next morning when I woke up she decided that we would take a day trip to Mt. Sunflower.

At this stage of my life I was not into hiking a lot. I had grown up in the midwest where it was as flat as Kansas. Hiking wasn't even in my vocabulary. Even State Highpointing I was not knowledgeable in. I was however, always interested in mountains. Though, Mt. Sunflower is not by any means considered a mountain, I was looking foward to visiting a state high point.

We got on the road and started driving south. Within 30 minutes or so we had driven almost right up to it. We then walked the rest of the way there. It was very flat, you would not think you were at a state high point at all. You could see wheat fields as far as the eye could see. The wind was light and it was a nice fall day. I took a few photos. I didn't sign the summit log there. At that time I didn't even know mountains or most state high points have registers.



I see that state high pointing can take one to many places that you would never visit otherwise. I have many state high points ahead of me if I am to conquer them all.

I got one state high point down and 49 to go.



Comments

No comments posted yet.



Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

Mount SunflowerTrip Reports