NE Ridge from Seavey Pass

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 38.03400°N / 119.5473°W
Additional Information Route Type: Hiking, Scrambling
Seasons Season: Summer, Fall
Additional Information Time Required: A long day
Additional Information Difficulty: Class 2 or 3
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach

Follow the directions on the main page to Seavey Pass. From Seavey Pass, gain Piute Mountain’s NE Ridge (more on this below). Follow the ridge until you reach a talus bowl just east of the summit, below the permanent snowfield shown on the 7.5’.

Piute’s NE Ridge features many ups and downs. It is best to stick to the ridgeline (some easy third class moves), avoiding the temptation to look for short-cuts along the sides; the north side features many cliffs, while the south side is easier but appears to be less interesting scrambling (class 2).

If you approach the ridge from near the pass as shown in this map, you have to hike along the entire ridgeline, which can be time-consuming--albeit scenic, with some optional but fun scrambling. A much quicker option is probably to continue south along the PCT, heading up the broad grass/talus SE chute of the peak to a notch along the NE Ridge (the descent route shown on the map). From the notch, you can drop straight down into the talus bowl.

Route Description

From the NE Ridge, drop down a short way to the right into the talus bowl, just east of the peak. Hike up surprisingly stable talus and scree past the permanent snowfield shown on the 7.5’ (more of a snow patch when I visited in mid-September). As you get past the snowfield, you should spot a system of narrow, sandy ledges on your left, basically following the isolated trees found on the peak’s east face. Follow these ledges up to the peak’s north ridge, and scramble along the north ridge to the broad, sandy summit plateau. There is a short third class section along this ridge, on good rock with excellent holds.

Secor mentions two chutes rising above the talus bowl; it’s likely that one of them is the sandy one seen to the right in this picture. Perhaps the left is the ledge system described here; it’s not clear.

Essential Gear

Nothing in summer.


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.