NE Ridge

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 46.55957°N / 7.99732°E
Additional Information Route Type: Mountaineering, Ice Climbing
Additional Information Time Required: Most of a day
Additional Information Difficulty: AD / ZS
Sign the Climber's Log
Mönch northeast-faceThe NE Ridge is the right skyline.
Photo by Nikman

Dres Schild leading the...On the ridge.

Overview

This is a very narrow, airy steep ridge consisting mainly of snow and ice, but with the possibility of exposed rock depending on conditions and the time of year. Route finding is not a problem once the ridge is attained.

Approach

From the Mönchsjoch hut, travel over the Obersmönchjoch and continue as if going to the southern Eigersjoch. From here over mixed ground to the base to the Bergschrund (if snow conditions warrant, you can also start in the Northeast face and traverse over to the ridge).

Route Description

Moni on the NE Ridge of the...On the ridge.






Once the steep ridge is attained, follow it to the summit. Watch for cornices. Problems area can be avoided by going into the NE face.

Descent
The normal SE Ridge back to the Mönchjoch hut or the SW ridge more directly to the Jungfraujoch.

Essential Gear

Glacier traveling gear, rope, ice axe, crampons, ice screws (about 4 or 5).
Mönch (L) and Jungfrau (R) from<br>Mittellegi Ridge on the EigerMönch from the Eiger. The NE Ridge is facing the camera.


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

MönchRoutes