NE summit from saddle

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 47.82500°N / 123.12°W
Additional Information Route Type: Scramble
Additional Information Time Required: Half a day
Additional Information Difficulty: Walk-up, Class 3
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach


Attain the saddle by one of 2 approaches:

1) Ascend directly up the steep (~30 degree) scree slope from the SSE. Leave the Marmot Pass trail (#833) near 1580m/5200' or depart from nearby camps. Fast parties will reach the saddle (~1945m/6400') in 1 hr, slower parties in 2 hr.

2) Hike to a point just S of Buckhorn Pass (~1.5 mi N of Marmot Pass on trail #840). Ascend to the SW summit of Buckhorn Mountain (or skirt it just to the S of the summit) and then descend to the saddle, staying close to the ridge (high, to clear the cliffs on the SE face).

Route Description


From the saddle between the 2 summits of Buckhorn Mountain (~1945m, 6400') proceed NE along the ridge. Bypass obstructions on their S (right) sides to minimize exposure. The summit (2114.3m, 6956') is broad and blocky (pillow basalts) with great views. Be careful near the (more exposed) NE and S sides of the summit. The round trip from the saddle is about 1 hr free scrambling, or 2 hr including rope logistics.

Essential Gear


As long as the route is snow-free, most experienced climbers will feel comfortable without a rope or protection. Large or beginning parties might want to bring helmets and a rope for the 2-3 sections (about 20m each) that are moderately exposed, involve some use of the hands, and have some rockfall potential (mostly from party members above).

Miscellaneous Info


If you have information about this route that doesn't pertain to any of the other sections, please add it here.


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.