Near the top of Lassen Peak

Near the top of Lassen Peak

My son, Curtis, and me near the top of Lassen Peak. This is where the trail ends, but the true summit is a little further on. We took the requisite summit shot here, then Curtis (who'd made the summit just a few minutes earlier) hiked back down while I continued on to the true summit. In the background, 75-miles away, is 14,162-foot Mt. Shasta. In order to make it appear closer, I shot with a telephoto at about 300-mm zoom (including 1.6x multiplication factor), entertaining other folks on the summit as I ran the 50-feet or so from my tripod-mounted camera to seat myself by Curtis before the shutter released! Imaged at Lassen Volcanic National Park, CA in July 2007.

Mark Doiron
on Sep 13, 2007 7:27 am
Image Type(s): Hiking
Image ID: 336401

Comments

Post a Comment
Viewing: 1-2 of 2
slick858

slick858 - Sep 17, 2007 11:21 am - Voted 10/10

Great times

I wish my Dad and I could share that. That is awesome.

Mark Doiron

Mark Doiron - Sep 17, 2007 11:31 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Great times

Thanks, Slick858. Yeah, those are special times spent together. He's a high school senior, but goes to an in-residence school for really smart kids. That means I don't get to see him much. :-( Each year we take a trip to visit national parks (39 of 58 total visited), and that's when the above image was taken. Thanks for taking a look! --mark d.

Viewing: 1-2 of 2