Nevado Coropuna Additions and Corrections

Viewing: 1-7 of 7
tatraman

tatraman - Feb 23, 2004 2:06 pm - Hasn't voted

Untitled Comment

I recomend Carlos Zarate as a good guide for climbing in this area. he is from a famous mountainnering company from Arequipa. and has a lot of experience. Is also helpful in providing information.

Contact:



CARLOS ZARATE "AVENTURAS" E.I.R.L.

Calle Santa Catalina 204 Of.3

Telefono: +51-54-202461

Telefax: +51 54 263107

e-mail: carlos@zarateadventures.com



This is definitely an outfitter for Arequipa area (Ampato, Coropuna, Chachani, El Misti and others...

tatraman

tatraman - Oct 23, 2004 6:48 am - Hasn't voted

Untitled Comment

I suggest everyone climbing in this area to visit Canon de Cotahuasi which is more remote but more beautiful than Colca. Termal spa is to be found there, as well as caves, waterfalls and other nice places.

tatraman

tatraman - Jun 30, 2005 3:54 am - Hasn't voted

Untitled Comment

Hiram Bingham was actually the first to climb the main summit (even though Incas suposedly did so 400 years before him) Coropuna is one of the most sacred mountains worshipped by the inca and pre inca cultures. Apu Coropuna - mountain ghost was offered human sacrifices in the Inca times as its anger was meant to be reason of volcanic activity and earthquakes those days... me an d my friends found some inca time bundle-like remnants halfway up the rocky section of the W rib route when climbing it in early december 2001. They may be covered by snow early in the season but at the end of the dry season, they should be visible. To me they appeared as animal skin bundles on a flat platform made of stones. might be of archeological interest. When approaching the SW face of the mountain, we encountered a stone -paved path partially destroyed by earthquakes leading towards the slopes of the mountain. At a place called Arma (halfways from Chuquibamba to Cotahuasi), there are remnants of Inca time aquaduct that fed the arid valleys with glacier water.



From this place, you can head to Mauca llacta willage with Inca and pre-inca time ruins...



So if you go to Coropuna, do not forget to make the chicha (local alcoholic beverage) and leafs of coca offerings to Apu Coropuna to ensure a good welcom e of the sacred mountain

Mike N

Mike N - Sep 6, 2005 10:14 pm - Hasn't voted

Untitled Comment

I suggest getting private transportation as the bus ride is long and unpredictable when they will pick up. The drive by car takes 7 hours. From Arequipa, take the road that gets you to the Pan American Hwy to Lima. After passing some kiosks and stands, there is a road that veers off to the right across a "pampa" to the Majes Valley. You descend into the Valley and cross the river, passing through several small towns. You then start climbing out of the Eastern end of the Valley. The last town you go through, and the last place for fuel, food, or water, is Chuquibamba. It is then two hours before getting to Basecamp of the standard route. The road here on out is gravel and rough. The road will approach very close and almost seem to top out near Coropuna. There will be a dirt road that comes off to the right. It is then a 10 minute drive to basecamp. Depending on snow levels you may or may not get there. It is well protected from the wind and is flat. There are several tent sites. The climb can easily be seen. The glaciers and ice falls are also seen.

Vic Hanson

Vic Hanson - Oct 18, 2005 12:18 am - Hasn't voted

Untitled Comment

I agree, visit Cotahuasi Canyon, it is a beautiful place with lots of hiking and peaks up to 16,000' with the trail heads in the village of Cotahuasi. I live there, feel free to email with any questions or if you want to visit.

k_egg

k_egg - Aug 30, 2014 1:32 am - Hasn't voted

Guide agency as of AUG 2014

I tried several of the numbers and emails listed for guides/agencies and had no luck. I finally walked into Peru Adventure Tours and the folks there hooked me up. Coincidentally, the guide they found for me (his name is Angel, pronounced with a soft "g") had just taken me and a couple of Italians on a 2-day up Chachani. In total I paid 1060 Soles (~370USD) for the trek, which I think is pretty reasonable considering most other places quoted something like 600USD for a single climber. What I paid includes bus, and gear rental, but not food (I needed a lot of gear as this wasn't meant to be a mountaineering trip to Peru).
The contact information for Peru Adventures, as of 29 AUG 2014, is:
Movistar: 973842688
Claro: 959767193
https://www.peruadventurestours.com/en/arequipa/coropuna_mountain.html
Their office is at Ugarte 109. It's about a 6 or 8 minute walk from the main plaza.

Vic Hanson

Vic Hanson - Sep 20, 2014 7:57 pm - Hasn't voted

Thanks, K egg

I need to apologize for the outdated guide information. I left Peru in the beginning of 2010 and haven't been able to update any of the information since then. Thanks for the information you provided.
Vic

Viewing: 1-7 of 7
Return to 'Nevado Coropuna' main page