New York Mountains Climber's Log

Viewing: 1-17 of 17
asmrz

asmrz - Oct 25, 2020 3:55 pm Date Climbed: Oct 19, 2020

Very nice scramble from Caruthers Canyon  Sucess!

My wife Penelope and I failed on this peak in February 2002. The summit ridge had waist deep snow. It took us a bit to come back, but we enjoyed the scramble from Caruthers Canyon very much in September 2020. There is a ton of boulder hopping in the gully to the skyline and some clean 3rd class scrambling on the North side of the peak. We liked the route very much.

gimpilator

gimpilator - May 6, 2018 9:34 am Date Climbed: Mar 16, 2018

Sketchy snow scramble  Sucess!

Some members of my party used rope, but I did not. trip report

cab

cab - Nov 16, 2015 1:40 pm Date Climbed: Nov 15, 2015

Keystone Canyon  Sucess!

After McCullough Mountain in the morning. This was a much better peak with a fun Class 3 finish.

jdmorehouse

jdmorehouse - Mar 4, 2013 3:42 pm Date Climbed: Mar 3, 2013

Loop Route  Sucess!

I went up towards Keystone Springs, then gained a ridge line above, then contoured around to an east-west facing ridge which I traveled over to Caruthers Canyon, side stepping or climbing over the rocky out croppings along the way. Up the canyon to the north-south summit ridge and finally the summit block, although summit pinnacle would be more like it. Snow on the ground and winds in the vicinity of 30 mph made the 3rd (4th?) class crack I finally used to gain the summit made things a little spicey. I went up the other summit pinnacle as well, which was probably only a few feet shorter than the main one. I returned down the "standard" route and out of the canyon to my car for a total of 8.7 miles, give or take.

tdoughty

tdoughty - Feb 22, 2011 10:06 pm Date Climbed: Feb 20, 2011

Snow Bound!

Snow on the ground when I pulled into the Caruthers camp area Saturday night, and an additional couple of inches fell over night. Low clouds and snow flurries all day as solo I tried to follow written directions without map and compass...my bad. When I was low calf deep in snow traversing what I believe to be the south side of the summit pinnacles I decided that another day might be better, tucked tail, and head back to the car and lower peaks to the south. Beautiful canyon...see my picture of the camp!

robot one

robot one - Dec 13, 2010 9:41 pm Date Climbed: Dec 13, 2010

Keystone Canyon  Sucess!

MoapaPk is the king of informational route photos. The air quality in the valley was exceptional and the views were second to none.

mrchad9

mrchad9 - Jun 13, 2010 8:36 pm Date Climbed: Nov 30, 2008

Keystone Canyon  Sucess!

Camped in Keystone Canyon during a Thanksgiving weekend exploring the Mojave. Enjoyed the climbing up the summit blocks.

goofball

goofball - Apr 28, 2009 3:14 pm Date Climbed: Apr 27, 2009

from carruthers  Sucess!

beautiful range ! loved the hike and scramble to the ny bm.

colinr

colinr - Feb 23, 2009 1:25 am Date Climbed: Feb 21, 2009

Caruthers Canyon

A scenic hike and scramble to end a week in the Mojave. Snow, my two whining dogs, a fear of heights, and lack of any equipment or partner kept me from attempting to make it up the final 50 feet or so this time. Snow, icicles, and cascades made for a scenic day and kept myself and the dogs from feeling hot and thirsty as weather began to turn more spring-like after winter storms the prior weekend.

Bob Burd

Bob Burd - Mar 27, 2007 8:58 pm Date Climbed: Mar 15, 2007

Keystone Canyon  Sucess!

I didn't find it nearly as classic as Matthew did, but rather just so-so. Last bit of the summit rocks was good, but none of the rocky desert washes that make for more fun on what I'd call a "classic" (check out Sheephole, for example). Trip Report

Matthew Holliman

Matthew Holliman - Mar 4, 2007 4:29 pm Date Climbed: Feb 25, 2007

Keystone Canyon  Sucess!

Awesome peak, one of the best desert peaks I've ever climbed. Keystone Canyon was very scenic, and the summit rocks are a blast... really fun and fairly exposed class 3. Terrific views from the top, too.

Climbed with Rick after tagging Teutonia first thing in the morning. Cold and windy, but a really fun day.

MoapaPk

MoapaPk - Jan 18, 2007 12:19 am Date Climbed: Jan 17, 2007

Keystone X2  Sucess!

NY Mt. trip
Parked my Subaru ~2 miles or so up dirt road -- hike was still only 6.2 miles RT. Lots of washouts in the road. The old mine road (malachite, azurite, sphalerite, probably mined cuprite or sulfides) and the tailings from the high drift go nearly to the ridgeline.

EDIT: I did find the "class 3 route" that matched Streeyyer's photo -- at least, I found that last top chute. The chute looks worse than it actually is -- the rock is very frictional and tough. However, I think I took a different path up to that last section of chute.

The DPS register needs some pencils. There are 4 ballpoint pens, and only one was working (marginally).

Update -- went again Nov 15/08 for a club trip -- folks were quite surprised to find this in the Mojave, 90 minutes south of Vegas... Several folks said I should really call it low class 4, not class 3.

Desert Solitaire

Desert Solitaire - Feb 14, 2006 2:50 am Date Climbed: Feb 11, 2006

Keystone/Caruthers Canyon hybrid  Sucess!

Excellent Desert Peakbagging weekend with D. Mantle. Clark and New York for today. Went slightly astray and battled through tons of desert brush and boulders. The summit rocks are fun 3rd/4th class.

crag

crag - Nov 1, 2005 12:30 pm

Route Climbed: From Keystone Canyon Date Climbed: November 28, 2003  Sucess!

Fun peak! Out there, good solitude, routefinding, fun scrambling.



If you have high clearance 4WD you can get pretty far up Keystone Canyon to some very nice campsites.



I also could not find the 3rd class route and ended up in class 4 territory with a few 5th class moves. Getting back down again was challenging.



easleygone - Jul 31, 2005 10:36 am

Route Climbed: Caruthers Canyon Date Climbed: Aug 1995  Sucess!

A very scenic and enjoyable climb; old mines, varying

terrain, good views. Big surprise at the top! I wore

myself out trying to find the class 3 route. Finally

located a cl 4 chute up through the boulders and

topped it off.

cp0915

cp0915 - Mar 14, 2005 10:40 am

Route Climbed: Caruthers Canyon Date Climbed: March 12, 2005  Sucess!

Caruthers Canyon is very scenic, particularly as you get back in near the mine. There were small cascades everywhere.



The hike up to the base of the summit block was short and easy, brushy at times, but rather enjoyable.



I never found the class 3 crack heading up the summit block; instead, I utilized a 4th class chute with a single 5.8 move right before the summit.



The summit views were enormous.



Also bagged the summit of the prominent crag to the northeast via a series of steep and exposed chimneys - was very cool.



I'd go back simply to do the crags again.

streeyyr

streeyyr - Jan 11, 2005 12:23 pm Date Climbed: Apr 15, 2002

New York Mountain  Sucess!

A classic Mojave Desert peak.

Viewing: 1-17 of 17
Return to 'New York Mountains' main page