Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 52.23912°N / 117.17219°W
Additional Information GPX File: Download GPX » View Route on Map
Activities Activities: Scrambling
Seasons Season: Summer
Additional Information Elevation: 10535 ft / 3211 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Brief overview

Surrounded by the giants in the area Nigel Peak is mostly ignored except for when the weather decides the big ones are off limits. It offers excellent views of neighbouring Mount Athabasca, Mount Andromeda, Smaller Boundary peak, and A2, Snow Dome, and Mount Kitchener among others. Most approach from the southwest side via the north ridge. 1175 metres of elevation gain.

Getting there

From Banff, take Highway 1, the Trans-Canada Highway, to Lake Louise, then turn north on Highway 93, the Icefield Parkway, to reach the mountain. The trailhead is found just west of Highway 93, 189 kilometers north of Banff . A small Snocoach Road leading to the trailhead is across the highway from the Columbia Icefield Centre, 103 kilometers south of Jasper, Alberta. About 3 Km south of the Columbia Icefields on the Icefields Parkway centre is the Wilcox Campgrounds. Find parking on or near here. Then follow the signed trail to Wilcox pass. Wilcox pass is the route the stagecoaches used to take northward before the building of the Icefields Parkway. The scramble route itself is discribed well in "Dow Williams" Scramble route found to the left of the page. Alan Kane's "Scrambles in the Canadian Rockies" is another usefull source of information. Pages 307-308.

Satellite map

Park fee's and Red tape

While you will not need a permit to do Nigel peak as it is a day trip, if you want to stay in the area remember to: Reserve a campsite up to three months in advance. Contact Parks Canada for more information. If you wish to do some backcountry camping a permit for 8CDN$/night (maximum of 30CDN$) plus a 10CDN$ reservation fee will be required. Under 16 travel for free. All fees are to be paid in advance. Annual wilderness passes are 42CDN$, valid for 12 months from the date of purchase. Contact the Jasper Parks Visitor Centre for more information: (780) 852-6176 or check out the Jasper National Park Home Page for trail reports and avalanche reports. A National Park Pass is required if you will be stopping anywhere in Jasper National Park. 8CDN$ per person or 16CDN$ per vehicle.

Open campfires are not allowed anywhere in Jasper National Park, except at approved campsites.

Guiding services and the Alpine Club of Canada

While you should not need a guide for this peak should you stay in the area to do other peaks and require the services of a guide, there are a number of number of licensed guide services throughout the area. Joining or contacting the Alpine Club of Canada can be useful. The Alpine Club's Edmonton Section The Alpine Club’s Calgary Section The Canadian Avalanche Association is an excellent source of current avalanche information. The Association of Canadian Mountain Guides can provide you with information regarding guide services. They include services from groups such as Yamnuska Mountaineering, Inc.

Emergency contact numbers

Emergency phone numbers for Jasper National Park Royal Canadian Mountain Police (780) 852-4848. P.O. Box 1800 600 Pyramid Lake Road, Jasper, AB. Jasper Hospital (780) 852-3344 518 Robson St. Jasper, AB. Fire & Ambulance (780) 852-3100 Jasper Firehall, Patricia St. Jasper, AB. Park Warden Office (780) 852-6155 / 56 Maligne Rd. Jasper, AB. (km 2) Sunwapta Park Warden Station (780 )852-6181 Mile 45, Highway 93 (Icefield Parkway) Pobotkan Creek Warden Station (780) 852-5383 Highway 93 (Icefield Parkway) Search and Rescue (780) 852-3100 Jasper, AB Emergency calls: Jasper Park Warden (780) 852-3100 or the Royal Canadian Mounted Police (RCMP) at (780) 852-4848.

Links to other activites in the area



Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

Columbia IcefieldMountains & Rocks