Nippletop Slide Additions and Corrections

Viewing: 1-3 of 3
WalksWithBlackflies

WalksWithBlackflies - Sep 21, 2005 10:47 am - Hasn't voted

Route Comment

Due to thick 20-foot band of vegetation between the base of the slide and the steam, the slide may not be visible directly from stream. When you reach an area of limited beaver activity about 1/2 mile from Elk Pass, head to the east (hiker's left) bank of the stream. A herdpath leads to the base of the slide. Although faint in some sections, this herdpath runs along the entire east bank from Elk Pass to the slide base.

WalksWithBlackflies

WalksWithBlackflies - Sep 21, 2005 11:07 am - Hasn't voted

Route Comment

Just above the first step, the slide appears to continue straight up a drainage. DO NOT GO UP THIS DRAINAGE, KEEP RIGHT! The actual slide itself is partially obscured by thick vegetation. The first time I attempted the slide, I went up the drainage (see my Trip Report for the consequences of this mistake). The second time, I STILL missed the turnoff, but realized my mistake after about 10 vertical feet. Others I have talked to have also missed this turnoff even though they knew it existed. If the "slide" gets dark and wet, you've gone off-course.

WalksWithBlackflies

WalksWithBlackflies - Sep 21, 2005 11:12 am - Hasn't voted

Route Comment

By no means is this a Class 5.1 climb. It is mostly Class II, with a couple of short Class III pitches. I performed one Class 4 move at the very top, but could have avoided with another route. That said, there is plenty of exposure. If you don't like staring directly down 1500 feet of vertical, don't hike this slide. The photos posted on the Slide page are good, but as usual with photographs, don't give the necessary depth perception.

Viewing: 1-3 of 3
Return to 'Nippletop Slide' main page