normal route from Cilaos

normal route from Cilaos

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 21.09833°S / 55.48083°E
Additional Information Route Type: hike
Additional Information Time Required: One to two days
Additional Information Difficulty: walk-up
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach


From the small "city" of Cilaos take the road of "Bras-sec" for around 2 kilometers and stop at the so-called place "Le Roc", at about 1350 meters.

Route Description


Follow the very good trail in the forest up to the "belvédère de la découverte", then the plateau of "grand Matarum" at 1900 meters and the pass at 2500 meters. This is a very steep part, but with a good trail which looks like stairs...

From the pass go to the hut "Caverne Dufour" in 5 minutes, then take the less steep trail up to the top at 3070 meters, through rocky slopes and above the 3 cirques of Salazie, Cilaos and Mafate.

This ascent is possible in a single day but very long, it's possible to stay at the "Caverne Dufour" hut at 2500 meters in order to reach the summit for sunrise and to avoid the cloudy weather after 10 AM.

Essential Gear


No technical gear is required, just good hiking shoes, (a lot of) water, a jacket in order to protect from the rain, frequent on this mountain.

Also warm clothes, the weather can be windy and cold above 2000 meters. Temperatures sometimes below freezing before sunrise.

Miscellaneous Info


If you have information about this route that doesn't pertain to any of the other sections, please add it here.
Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.