Normal Route from Karlsbader Hütte

Normal Route from Karlsbader Hütte

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 46.76000°N / 12.79000°E
Additional Information Route Type: Scramble
Additional Information Time Required: Less than two hours
Additional Information Difficulty: UIAA I
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach

The base of the climb is at Karlsbader Hütte. You reach this from Lienzer Dolomitenhütte (see main page for "getting there" info) by hiking south along the Laserzbachtal Valley. You can use a forest road or a shortcutting footpath.

From Klammbrückl (also see the "getting there" section of the main page) you have to hike out south through Kerschbaumer Tal until you reach Kerschbaumer Schutzhütte. From here turn east to ascend to the Kerschbaumer Törl Pass. Descend on the eastern side and head for Karlsbader Hütte which you can already see from the pass.

Route Description

  • General data
      - Start altitude: 2241m
      - Summit altitude: 2613m
      - Prevailing exposition: N
      - Type: 1h 30min marked scree covered trails, 15min class I scramble
      - Protection: marked but without protection
  • Effort: 400m of altitude gain, 3km distance to the summit.
  • Power: 2 - UIAA I
  • Psyche: 2 - exposed scramble
  • Orientation: 1 - easy in good weather

    From Karlsbader Hütte head westward - direction Kerschbaumer Törl. After some 200m a steep trail, marked with blue dots heads of to the left. It reaches a plateau with a memorial cross after some 10min. In good weather this plateau commands a great view across the whole Laserz Group of the Lienz Dolomites.Turn around and now the trail heads directly up the mountain in south-westerly direction. It zigzags the north-eastern slopes of Teplitzer Spitze until it reaches the Teplitzer Spitze north face after 30 min. Here the two climbing routes start.

    The remainder of the hike to Ödkarscharte crosses below the Teplitzer Spitze North Face to scramble steeply up to the pass. Again, in good weather, enjoy the views - this time towards the Carnic Alps. From the pass head westward up to a shoulder (2596m) where the other route from Kerschbaumer Törl joins. The remainder of the climb are some 20 - 30m of exposed UIAA I scramble towards the summit. First you have to negotiate several narrow chimneys before heading up along the Teplitzer Spitze South Ridge.
    Teplitzer Spitze photo_id=124828Teplitzer Spitze photo_id=124821Teplitzer Spitze photo_id=124826

    Essential Gear

    For most of the ascent hiking gear is sufficient. If you are not experienced in exposed locations rope up for the final 30m.
  • Parents 

    Parents

    Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.