Normal Route

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 46.40120°N / 10.62480°E
Additional Information Route Type: Hike
Additional Information Time Required: Half a day
Additional Information Difficulty: Walk-Up
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach


Monte Vioz photo_id=85468

The Trailhead at Pèio Fonti can be reached as follows:

From Bolzano/Bozen and Verona:
  • A22 Brenner Motorway to the exit Mezzolombardo
  • SS43 northwest direction Cles until Ponte Mostixxolo
  • SS42 west to Ossana
  • SP87 northwest to Pèio Fonti

    From Bormio:
  • SS300 over Passo di Gavia to Ponte di Legno
  • SS42 east to Ossana
  • SP87 northwest to Pèio Fonti

    From Milano:
  • A4/E64 to Bergamo
  • SS42 north to Ponte di Legno, then east to Ossana
  • SP87 northwest to Pèio Fonti

    From Lago di Como:
  • SS36 north to Colico
  • SS38 east to Tresenda
  • SS39 east to Edolo
  • SS42 west to Ossana
  • SP87 northwest to Pèio Fonti

    Route Description


    Monte Vioz photo_id=61959

    Alltitude difference: 1350m from Doss dei Cembri
    Difficulty: Hike
    Duration: 3h
    Trailhead: Pèio Fonti

    Monte Vioz is the easiest of the summits in the central Ortler – Cevedale Group. In summer you don’t need any special equipment. The last couple of steps to the summit lead over a glacier ridge which in winter might be difficult to cross. The whole ascent is panoramic with great views of the Adamello- and Presanella groups which develop as you gain altitude. The best is spared for last: at Rifugio Mantovia del Vioz you get the first glimpses of Punta di San Mateo, Pizzo Tresero and the HUGE Ghiacchiaio dei Forni glacier. Further on up on the side summit you’ll be almost able to grab Cevedale and Palon de la Mare. Be prepared, however, to join A LOT of summiteers on your way…
    Monte Vioz  photo_id=85620Monte Vioz  photo_id=85468Monte Vioz  photo_id=85467

    The first stage of the ascent is the cable car ride to Rifugio Doss dei Cembri at approximately 2300m of altitude. Here you start on a dirt road that eventually evolves into Sentiero Tedesco. Before it does turn right over a shoulder and start climbing to the first ridge south of Cima Vioz (2504m). Get to the northeastern side of the ridge and keep climbing always on this side. The trail winds its way towards Dente del Vioz (2905m) where it changes through a pass to the southwestern side of the ridge which it never leaves until the final ascent.
    Monte Vioz  photo_id=62392Monte Vioz  photo_id=62397Monte Vioz  photo_id=85469Monte Vioz  photo_id=86089

    At the pass near Dente del Vioz you’ll get your firt glimpses of the Presanella group with Cima Presanella gleaming in the sunlight to the south. The ridge leads you to the southern face of Monte vioz which has to be climbed in serpentines until you reach Rifugio Mantovia del Vioz. After a short rest advance on the southern summit ridge to the side summit (cross). The real summit is some 20m higher and a glacier ridge has to be crossed to get there.
    Monte Vioz  photo_id=61827Monte Vioz  photo_id=61958Monte Vioz  photo_id=86087Monte Vioz  photo_id=86088Monte Vioz  photo_id=86092

    Essential Gear


    Monte Vioz photo_id=61828

    After the hot summer of 2003 no other gear than the usual hiking stuff is needed. You’ll reach the Rifugio anyway, only for the final ascent along the summit ridge you might need crampons or ice axe. But this clearly depends on the weather and time of year.




  • Parents 

    Parents

    Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.