Normal route

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 50.98156°N / 115.28744°W
Additional Information Route Type: Scramble/Hike
Additional Information Time Required: Half a day
Additional Information Difficulty: Walk with some Scrambling
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach


Head out of Canmore on the Smith-Dorrien/Spray Lakes road past the Grassi Lakes and the Goat Creek day use parking. Continue on the unpaved Spray lakes road for about 22km out of Canmore. 4-5km passsed the dam you will see a sign for Spurling Creek. A small parking area is to the right just before the sign. You will find the trail head on the other side of the road.

Route Description



Begin by following the obvious trail through the woods to the left of the creek bed. About 20 minutes into the hike you will see some red ribbons on the left. You should turn left here. If you go straight and miss this you will be heading to West Wind Pass. You can do the pass and turn left and follow the ridge but it will be a much longer day. Continue upwards on solid ground with switchbacks following where the ribbons lead you to a dry drainage area. Cross over this towards a cliff band and following a fairly visable trail gain the ridge. Follow this ridge to the col. Turn left and follow a gentle summit ridge to a series of small scrambles. The route here is obvious as there is extreme exposure on the right and a gentler slope on the left. Follow the ridge just to the left of the drop off. Just before the summit you will encounter a more difficult clift band. At this point decend about 50 yards to a visable break in the band. This is an easy scramble to gain the last ridge and an easy walk back up to the summit. First hour in the woods the next on fairly solid scree up to the col. The rest is a ridge walk on fairly solid ground with a couple of scrambles.

Essential Gear


Normal Hiking shoes will do. In more wintery conditions, boots crampons and ice axe will be necessary. Dress for the Mountains. Have warm clothes and wind or rain shell tucked away in case of bad weather.

Miscellaneous Info


If you have information about this route that doesn't pertain to any of the other sections, please add it here.


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

RimwallRoutes