North Couloir aka Feather Couloir

North Couloir aka Feather Couloir

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 37.32600°N / 118.777°W
Additional Information Route Type: ice climbing
Additional Information Time Required: Half a day
Additional Information Difficulty: Class 4 - 5, AI2, WI3
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach


From the upper Royce Lake, the couloir is right of ( and hidden behind ) the North Face. Hike up the drainage from the lake. The route is obvious.

Route Description


The ice gully has no bershrund to speak of and is easily entered. The left side can be climbed ( steeper ) as can the right side ( easier ). Rock belays are easily established. This gully is 700' and up to 60 degrees. From it's top turn left and climb class 3 - 4 rock for 70' to the gentle summit ridge.

Descent - down climb class 2 - 3 ledges and scree on the southeast slope. Climb a nasty sand cone to the notch between Feather Peak and Mount Royce. Downclimb a 35 degree ice gully back to upper Royce Lake.

Essential Gear


Ice tools, crampons, helmet, rope and a light rock / ice rack.

Miscellaneous Info


If you have information about this route that doesn't pertain to any of the other sections, please add it here.


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.