North-East Ridge - North Summit, Mt. Victoria, Alpine II

North-East Ridge - North Summit, Mt. Victoria, Alpine II

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 51.38497°N / 116.31276°W
Additional Information Route Type: Mountaineering
Seasons Season: Summer, Fall
Additional Information Time Required: Most of a day
Additional Information Difficulty: Alpine II
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Mount Victoria is a spectacularly beautiful mountain. This long and tall mountain has two primary summits, the main summit, the south summit, is described in a separate page.

Considering the lower, more northern summit, a separate summit may not be technically correct as there is little prominence between these summits; but there is approximately 1000 metres of isolation between the two summits.

Mt. Victoria Mount Victoria from Upper Victoria Glacier


Locals consider both worthy climbs and both summits are listed separately in the list of the 54 Canadian Rockies summits over 11,000 feet (3353 metres). Reaching 3388 metres (11,115 ft.) Mt. Victoria’s North Summit is 41 on the generally accepted list of 54 summits exceeding 11,000 feet in the Canadian Rockies.

The North Summit is easily climbed in a day from the Lake Louise parking lot. Old bivy sites and walls exist along the glaciers edge, but Parks Canada generally does not issue backcountry permits for bivouacs for this route anymore. No permit is required to park or climb.

Typically Canadian Rockies situation with July and August providing the best conditions for high elevation climbing. Often September and October have stable and dry weather, but conditions can change dramatically. Fall climbing does provide colder temperatures for snow climbing, but with less snow for climbing and bridging of crevasses.


Collier PeakCollier Peak from North Vic/Collier Col.

Getting There

First light on Mt. Lefroy


Drive to the tourist town of Lake Louise, 188 km west of Calgary along the Trans-Canada Highway, then proceed to the iconic tourist destination of Chateau Lake Louise. Expect tourists; but when you witness the grand vistas and the opulence of this historic hotel, you will understand the crowds. Park in the Lake Louise parking lot and then follow the popular hiking trail, “Plains of the Six Glaciers” to the tea house, about 6 km to the tea house.

From the tea house follow the trail to the glacier lookout, but about 150 metres from the tea house, on climber’s right, on the edge of the boulder/tree slope, an obvious trail leads to scree fields below the Upper Victoria Glacier.

Route Description

- North Summit, North-East Ridge (Normal Route), Alpine II

Line of the first ascent in August 1900. From Plain of the Six Glaciers tea house, gain the Upper Victoria Glacier. Lower glacier has many large crevasses, be very aware. About half of the lower glacier can be avoided by traversing low slopes of Collier Peak, on a bench above the glacier, but this bench is exposed to increased rockfall hazard.


Upper Victoria Glacierflat section of upper glacier, below col



Once on the upper section of the Upper Victoria Glacier, head to the steep and tall col between North Victoria and Collier Peak. Cross the bergschrund, this can be a challenge some summers, and continue up steep, but ledgy rocky to the high col, about 160 metres from 'schrund to col.

Up track to Col



The col provides excellent views of the North Face of Victoria North and west into Yoho National Park.

North Victoria







Climb North East Ridge to summit on either snow or ice, depending on conditions.










A short rock step at about 2/3 thirds height can be climbed directly (5.3) or passed on climber's right, maybe icy late in the summer season on bypass slope. Moderate snow/ice ridge to summit, descend the same route.

Old School WB on North Vic
South Summit of Mt. Victoria
Ian on North Vic


Essential Gear

Climbing boots, crampons and helmet (mainly for slopes below Victoria/Collier Col).

Standard glacier travel and crevasse rescue gear; depending on snow coverage, pickets or ice screws, pulleys, locking carabiners and carabiners, slings and prussiks. Probe is useful for detecting crevasses.

We had temperatures of -12 C (10 F) in early October so quality clothes are required. Rain/snow storm shell, down jacket, waterproof climbing boots and good food.



Reference

Sean Dougherty book, Selected Alpine Climbs in the Canadian Rockies, provides excellent route and approach information.

Selected Alpine Climbs

Bill Corbett’s book, The 11,000ers of the Canadian Rockies, provides a comprehensive climber’s guide and history to the 54 11,000-foot peaks in the Canadian Rockies.

11,000'ers of the Canadian Rockies


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.