North Face-Candanchu

North Face-Candanchu

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 42.76350°N / 0.5658°W
Additional Information Route Type: Scramble / Ice
Additional Information Time Required: Half a day
Additional Information Difficulty: SD/F.
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach

See the main page.

Route Description

Slope: 1100m (from Tobazo: 650m).
Time: 4h30min (from Tobazo: 2h30min). With snow: 5-6h
Side: North face.

Trailhead: ski-station of Candanchú (1550m). We'll walk to the south across the track of ski to Col of Pastor (Alternative: ski-lift to Tobazo, generally it works even in summer).

We'll go to the west to the walls of Tuca Blanca and we'll continue climbing up to a col on the ravine of the Aspe at 2350m. We'll folllow to south and we'll come to the most delicate zone for the hard difference that needs the use of crampons and ice axe if there have snow (and even freeze some days) and that it can be dangerous. In summer generally it is full of stones without danger or with a little of snow. In the Brecha superior de Aspe (high gap of Aspe) we'll take the last climb to the summit to the east with the use of hands in the final section (F).

Another posibility from Candanchú: we'll take the GR-11 to the west to the forest of La Chorrota and the Paso del Aspe. This point is very complicated a lot of days for the water that fall from the circo de Aspe. From here it's possible to arrive to Circo de Aspe and to reach the access to Brecha de Aspe, a little pronunciated slope, with snow in spring and even in summer some years.


Essential Gear

With snow: ice-axe and crampons (attention with the ice). Generally in summer it's a easy climb, only it's necessary the water and good boots.


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

AspeRoutes