North face

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 45.55250°N / 6.94680°E
Additional Information Route Type: Off piste ski route
Additional Information Time Required: Half a day
Additional Information Difficulty: Off piste ski route
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach


From Sainte Foy Tarentaise take the road to the ski resort (Bon Conseil, park).
Take the chair lifts of Grand Plan, Arpettaz and de l'Aiguille : you reach the crest near the Col de l'Aiguille between the Rocks of Pierre d'Arbine and Pointe de Foglietta.

Route Description


Walk in NE direction near the ridge, mostly by carriing the skis (mountaineering skis not necessairy). You reach easily first the Foglietta Cross and then the summit (1 to 1,5 hours from the chairlift top). The views over the Mont Blanc Massive in the north and the Mont Pourri in the south are fantastic.

The descent begins 20 meters before the summit : the direction of the first slopes (gradient 35%) in the shade of the north face is evident. Most of the time, the snow conditions are fantastic and unforgettable.
Follow approximatively the direction of the mountain pasture Les Savonnes visible 1000 m lower.
In the middle of the north face, you have to pass a narrow gully : prudence(gradient 40%)
Take the slopes beneath on the right.
At Les Savonnes (1908 m) cross the bridge of the river Mercuel, follow the snowy (icy) path above the river to the (typical) hamlet Le Crot.
Follow the road to Plan du Pré and La Masure.

From here, you must return to Bon Conseil by taxi : call Gérard Arnaud
on +33 4 79 41 05 73, or +33 6 07 38 24 09, or Ortiz on +33 4 79 06 93 57 or +33 6 14 46

Time of the descent from Pointe de Foglietta to La Masure : 2 hours (1700 m descent)

Essential Gear


Free ride skis recommended

Some parts of the route are not covered by cell phones ! be prudent.

Miscellaneous Info


If you have information about this route that doesn't pertain to any of the other sections, please add it here.


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.