North Face

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 48.51589°N / 120.65791°W
Additional Information Route Type: Mountaineering, Trad Climbing
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall
Additional Information Time Required: Half a day
Additional Information Rock Difficulty: 5.8 (YDS)
Additional Information Grade: II
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

This route takes a winding path up weaknesses and ledges over 1000' from the talus below the monolith of Liberty Bell to the summit. The route is longer and less crowded than the Southwest Face and despite the steepness of the feature, maintains a fairly low angle and moderate grade. Expect to climb a bit of dirty gully, runout easy slab, and great steep granite cracks.

Getting There

Follow the instructions on the main page to the East Face routes of Liberty Bell. There is an established track leaving from the highway about a mile and a half East of the Blue Lake Trailhead. At the talus field below Liberty Bell travel Southwest to blocky terrain at the base of the North Face. A prominent westward-leaning gully goes from near the base of the route to a notch on the Northwest Face of Liberty Bell.

Route Description

From the blocky terrain at the base of the face climb up and right some 90 meters to the prominent gully cutting westward. Pass across the rotten rock of the gully another 60 meters to a prominent slabby ledge and crack system cutting climber's left back towards the East Face. Follow the system some 150 meters up and left to a distinct steep chimney. Climb the chimney and another 30 meters of steeper terrain before giving way to 4th class blocky ledges leading the last 100 meters to the summit.

Descent

Follow the instructions on the Southwest Face route page to reach the Liberty Bell-Concord notch and trail back to Blue Lake.

The highway can be intersected from the Blue Lake Trail about a mile East of the trailhead to more quickly reach the spot where the East approaches start.

Essential Gear

Rock rack to 3", rope at least 50 meters long.

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.