North Ridge via Bighorn Creek

North Ridge via Bighorn Creek

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 39.67100°N / 106.2393°W
Additional Information Route Type: Easy scrambling/scampering
Additional Information Time Required: Most of a day
Additional Information Difficulty: Walk-up
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach


Bighorn Creek Trailhead: From the Front Range drive west on I-70 to Vail. Exit I-70 at the easternmost exit (180) and take an immediate left onto Big Horn Road to go under I-70. Follow Big Horn Road back east for less than a mile to Columbine Drive. Take a left on Columbine Drive and go back under I-70 and up the hill a couple hundred yards. You’ll find a small parking lot on the left side of the street.

TH directions graciously provided by Andy

From the parking lot find the small trail sign near the fence on the west side of the parking lot. Folow the scenic and pleasant Bighorn Creek Trail for aproximately 4 miles into the upper basin. Just befor timberling you will pass an old dilapidated cabin. Past the cabin meadows offer views of the destination. The trail disapears at timberline but it is easy fom here to ascend into the upper basin.

Route Description


As one enters the upper basin the views open up. The mass on the right is North Traverse Peak. If snow conditions are good a suitable snow route may be found on the North West face of North Traverse. The easier route when the snow melts out finds a grassy mini-couloir angling towards the north. Follow this gulley to steep grassy slopes before turning right to follow the North Ridge proper to the summit. Some minor towers are encountered along the way. The upper mountain is litered with boulders. The rock is generaly sound and exposure is minor. The summit is cairned. The south summit of North Traverse Peak is a quarter mile further. If there is snow a good glissade may be possible back down to the Bighorn Basin floor. Be careful of loose rock if contouring across the North West Face.

Essential Gear


An ice ax may be useful in may or june. Other then that this is primarily just a hike. Bighorn Creek may sport hordes of mosquitos in summer so deet would be a usefull thing to have.

Miscellaneous Info


If you have information about this route that doesn't pertain to any of the other sections, please add it here.


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.