North Ridge

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 39.54310°N / 106.1201°W
Additional Information Route Type: HIke
Additional Information Time Required: Most of a day
Additional Information Difficulty: Class 2+
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach


Start your hike at the parking area on the south side of I-70 at the west Frisco exit. This parking area is used mainly by bicyclists and joggers gaining access to the bike path, which runs from Breckenridge to Copper Mountain. Since the Mount Royal Trailhead (9,000 ft.) originates from this bike path you should park here as well. From the parking lot, cross the bridge and turn left on the path (towards Breckenridge). Follow the bike path for about a quarter mile and look sharp on your right for a sign for the ghost town of Masonville and Mount Royal. Locating this sign can be a bit confusing but there should be enough locals walking this bike trail to help you find your way.

Start your ascent of the Mount Royal Trail as it switchbacks up through the forest. It won’t take long to develop a nice sweat for this trail is somewhat steep. After about 30 minutes you will arrive at the Masonville ghost town, more like ruins. After about an hour and 2000 ft., you should finally be at the Mount Royal overlook which is also the start of the North Ridge Route to Peak 1. Most of the locals and tourists hiking this trail usually call it a day at this spot, you won’t see too many others going forward.

Stay on the single-track trail as climbs up through more trees. Another 600 ft. of vertical gain and 20 minutes later you will arrive at another sub-summit of Peak 1, Victoria Mountain. There is an obvious radio-tower here and the views begin to finally open up as well

Route Description


From tree line on Victoria Peak the remainder of your route to Peak 1 is obvious. Follow the broad, grassy ridge as it begins to narrow towards the small northwest face of Peak 1. The change from class 2 to 2+ begins here. You will have a few route selections to choose from to get up the northwest face of Peak 1. Staying directly on the crest allows for interesting class 3 scrambling, or you can traverse out onto the face and ascend a semi-loose climber’s trail (class 2+). Once through the difficulties it is a short hike up the narrow ridge to the summit of Peak 1. I have to say the views from the summit are excellent. To the east is the town of Frisco and Dillon Reservoir, to the west is Copper Mountain ski resort and to the south resides the connecting skinny ridge to Tenmile Peak.

From the summit of Peak 1 you have an unobstructed view of the remainder of your route to Tenmile Peak. Continue on the ridge and descend about 300 ft. to the low point between the two peaks. There are a few spots where you will need to use your route-finding skills to locate easy passage along this ridge. At one point the ridge becomes too skinny to stay on the crest, you will need to drop down about 20 ft. and do a class 3 traverse to safer grounds, exposure is minimal. Any route variation along this ridge will be on the east side for the drop-offs to the west are too extreme. From the low-point between the two peaks, continue up 400 ft. to the lonely summit of Tenmile Peak (12,933 ft.). The views from this summit are just as inspiring as from Peak 1. The connecting ridge between Tenmile Peak and Peak 3 is wild, and looks very challenging (class 3 and 4). Descend the standard route.

Essential Gear


Read "Mountain Conditions" on the main page.

Miscellaneous Info


If you have information about this route that doesn't pertain to any of the other sections, please add it here.


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.