North Ridge

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 65.56670°N / 18.225°W
Additional Information Route Type: Hike (some light scrambling)
Additional Information Time Required: Half a day
Additional Information Difficulty: Walk-up
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach

See the Getting There section of the main page for directions to the trailhead.

Route Description

From the parking lot, head east and cross over the fence on the step staircase provided. The trail then bends south and crosses grassy meadows. Once through the grass, the trail will climb up and over the ridge to the east side and then ascend between rock ridges. The trail then flips back right up onto the ridge and climbs to the lower summit of Súlur.

From the lower summit, follow the ridge down and then across a section filled with sinkholes and cracks. Avoid them! They go down a few meters in spots and would suck to fall in to. Once across that section of the ridge, the trail climbs again up the next peak on the ridge to the true summit of Súlur (called Syðri-Súlur).

From there, descend the slope to the south passing the dike of Storikrummi on your right. Aim between two rock outcroppings ahead (Litlikrummi) and descend further to a flat plateau/saddle. Then begins ascending again up the mound ahead. The rock can be loose so be careful. Once on top of the mound you will see the twin peaks of Bóndi ahead. Scramble up the rocks between them and then chose one of two ways to scramble to the summit of the leftmost (eastern) pinnacle. You can either pick your way up the west side angling from north to south (loose class 3) or go further past the pinnacle to the south and then angle back up the south side on easier scrambling (class 2-3).

Descend the same way. Distance is about 7 to 7.5 kilometers one way and elevation gain is about 3430 feet. (I know I am mixing measuring systems there. Sorry.)

Essential Gear

None needed.

Miscellaneous Info

If you have information about this route that doesn't pertain to any of the other sections, please add it here.


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

BóndiRoutes