North Slope (Raymond Lake)

North Slope (Raymond Lake)

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 38.60390°N / 119.8323°W
Additional Information Route Type: Hiking
Seasons Season: Summer, Fall
Additional Information Time Required: Most of a day
Additional Information Difficulty: Class 2
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

From the summit registry, this appears to be the most common method of reaching the Raymond Summit.

Getting There

Raymond Lake lies at 8994 feet about 1/2 mile north of Raymond Peak and can be accessed via a spur trail from the PCT.

From the northbound PCT, Raymond Lake is about 10 miles from Ebbetts Pass
From the southbound PCT, Raymond Lake is about 6 miles from Wet Meadow or Sunset Lakes.

Route Description

Once at the lake, the summit will be the leftmost (southern) highpoint on the ridge. (see pic)

Follow the use trail around the left side of the lake to the base of a forested slope leading to the peak.

Ascend the class 1-2 slope .4 mile (1000ft gain) to a saddle just north (right) of the summit block ridge.

Cross to the west side of the ridge and traverse south below the summit block for about 100 yards and then ascend to the summit. The highpoint is on the north (left) side of the summit ridge.

Essential Gear

Nothing beyond good trail shoes and ample water.
Snow gear (crampons/axe/etc) probably required for early season ascents.


External Links

Fedak's Raymond Dayhike

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.