North Slope (Three Mile Creek Trail)

North Slope (Three Mile Creek Trail)

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 39.50880°N / 105.6596°W
Additional Information Route Type: Hiking
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Time Required: Most of a day
Additional Information Difficulty: I - walk up
Sign the Climber's Log

Getting There

Mount Evans from summit

From Denver drive westwards on US 285. Look to your right when you pass the Deer Creek Ranch short before Bailey - you will have a great view of Mount Logan.Pass through Bailey (on the weekends police is out in full force to punish anyone caught speeding) and turn right in Grant on the Guanella Pass Road.The pavement soon ends, but dirt road is suitable for normal passenger cars.Keep in mind that in winter there is no winter maintenance between late afternoon and early morning.The Three Mile Creek Trailhead is a small parking spot on your right - three miles down the road.

Route Description

Front Range
Front Range

The first part of the trail follows the Threemile Creek in its narrow, forested canyon. You will have to cross the creek numerous times. As the trail swings half way around Spearhead Mountain it gradually begins to open up into a meadow. Straight ahead you see the gentle slopes of Mount Logan. Cross the meadow and continue on a clear path on the left (upward looking)side of the creek. The path climbs uphill through pine forest in a series of switchbacks. Higher up on the ridge the forest opens to a series of smaller clearings which offer great views of Kenosha Pass, South Park and the Front Range.

The trail makes a 90 degree turn on the upper edge of the last clearing and leads back into denser forest.

Leave the trail right at the turn and head uphill in direction of Mount Logan.You will soon leave the last trees behind you - from here it is a nice hike over gentle tundra slopes to Mount Logan's summit.

The summit is marked by a small, round stonewall (which gives shelter to the summit registry) and a couple boards - the almost level summit plateau is easily as big as a football field

Mountain Condition

Lost Creek Wildernis from summit
Along the trail

Mount Logan is part of the Mount Evans Wilderness - please abide to all wilderness regulations.

Winter:

Expect deep snow from December till end of April. The vast tundra slopes of Mount Logan offer no protection against icecold winter storms.
In case of a white out orientation will get pretty tricky on the vast tundra slopes. This is a very long hike if you have to break trail.

Most slopes of Mount Logan have a very low angle, but some slopes (especially the ridge connecting Mount Logan and Kataka Mountain) might slide under adverse conditions.

Rest of the year:

Lightning is a serious concern, like anywhere else in the Rockies

Essential Gear

Snowshoes in winter - sturdy hiking boots in summer

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.