North slopes

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 38.92440°N / 106.32°W
Additional Information Route Type: Hike
Additional Information Time Required: Most of a day
Additional Information Difficulty: Class 2
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach


This is a good route to combine Harvard with Oxford and Belford. Otherwise it is a long hike in, 8 miles west from the Pine Creek trailhead or about 7 miles south from Missouri Gulch (with a climb over 13,200 ft. Elkhead Pass). From Pine Creek on US 24, there is a $1 per person fee (self serve pay) to cross the private property at the start. The climb starts just above Bedrock Falls at 11,200 ft. on the Pine Creek Trail south of Oxford.

Route Description


This is route 14.2 as described in Roach's "Colorado's Fourteeners" except that I started just above the falls rather than below. From above (1/4 mile SW of) Bedrock Falls, cross the stream and bushwack SSE. The woods are open so the going is pretty easy. At treeline traverse right of the rock face and up the grassy slopes to the summit. You can't get lost if you just keep going up (I did this at night). There is a little bit of boulder scrambling at the summit.

Essential Gear


Standard hiking stuff. There is no water above Pine Creek.

Miscellaneous Info


If you have information about this route that doesn't pertain to any of the other sections, please add it here.

Additions and CorrectionsPost an Addition or Correction

Viewing: 1-1 of 1
A Robert Johnson

A Robert Johnson - Jul 19, 2005 6:31 pm - Hasn't voted

Route Comment

On 7/13/05 our group crossed Pine Creek about 1 mile below Bedrock falls (great camp right on the creek) and hiked a steep coulier to the North Ridge. Start early on this one and take it slow. We started around 6am and still did not summit till around 1pm. We did have a party of 7 of different experience levels so that should be taken into account. No trails but a great route and great snowfield for glissading on the northeast side.

Viewing: 1-1 of 1


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.