Northeast Couloir

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 38.96193°N / 106.87892°W
Additional Information Route Type: Mountaineering, Skiing
Seasons Season: Spring
Additional Information Time Required: Half a day
Additional Information Difficulty: Steep Snow
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

This is a fun snow climb on the northeast face of Teocalli Mountain, offering 1300 feet of moderate-to-steep snow, up to 50 degrees. The route is in condition* starting mid June (we found good conditions 06/29/14).

Teocalli Mountain northeast face
The northeast face of Teocalli Mountain

Getting There

Via the Pearl Pass Road (high-clearance 4WD required): 1.8 miles east of Crested Butte on Hwy 135, turn northeast onto CR 738. At 2.5 miles go right at the fork. At 4.5 miles go right at the fork. At 5.6 miles go right at the fork (Pearl Pass Road). At 6.2 miles cross Brush Creek. At 8.4 miles cross Middle Brush Creek. At 11.7 miles turn left at a spur. Immediately cross the creek and park near a sign at 11.8 miles (38.954426,-106.859250).

Approach

From the parking area, follow the fading road and faint trail, picking up a good trail after ~0.2 miles (38.957027,-106.859046). Follow this trail to the northwest. After 1 mile (from the parking area), leave the trail and hike west through meadow and willows. Cross the creek, turn southwest, and bushwhack through willows and new growth to reach the talus field at the base of the northeast face (38.963296,-106.874464). The Northeast Couloir** is the prominent line which goes directly towards the summit.

Route Description

Climb the apron and continue on 40-45 degree snow as the couloir narrows, passing a few brief sections of steeper snow up to 50 degrees. If the snow is melted out where the angle relents around 12800', it may be possible to keep it continuous by hugging the left side. Climb a steep step onto the ridge and go west to the summit.

Teocalli Mountain Northeast Couloir route
The Northeast Couloir

Essential Gear

Mountaineering axe, sturdy boots, crampons.

Notes

* hard packed snow when climbed around sunrise.

** this couloir needs a name! If you know it, please let me know!

Table of Contents
Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.