Northwest Face (The Arrowpoint)

Northwest Face (The Arrowpoint)

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 44.36291°N / 121.14687°W
Additional Information Route Type: Technical Rock Climb
Additional Information Time Required: Less than two hours
Additional Information Difficulty: 5.2
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach


Follow the directions on the Smith Rock Group main page to reach the base of the west side of the formation. Once on the west side, you're looking for a low angle brush gully (numerous climbers' trails exist) to take you up to the summit plateau (class 2). This photo clearly shows the gully and the summit plateau: Smith Rock Group from the west. Once at the plateau, hike left (north) until you see The Arrowpoint directly ahead of you, The Platform ahead and to the right, and the Smith Summit spires way off to your right.

Route Description


The route begins with an easy (class 3) but a bit exposed scramble along a chossy ridge to the south base of The Arrowpoint. Contour left under the west face of the formation. The 5.2 route begins near the northwest corner.

Follow cracks in decent (though heavily lichened) rock for about 40-50 feet to the top of the formation. Note that there are NO RAP bolts at the top and nothing solid enough to set a rap anchor. Downclimb the route to get down.

Essential Gear


HELMET, a single rope and a cam or two in the 2 to 3 inch range. Remember you have to downclimb the route.

Miscellaneous Info


If you have information about this route that doesn't pertain to any of the other sections, please add it here.


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.