Northwest Ridge

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 45.26000°N / 110.69°W
Additional Information Route Type: Easy scrambling
Additional Information Time Required: Half a day
Additional Information Difficulty: Class 2 in summer
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach


From Emigrant, turn west at the main intersection onto Murphy Lane until you reach East River Road. Turn right and follow East River Road (540) until you reach Sixmile Creek road which is marked with a brown forest service sign that points you in the direction of Dailey Lake and Sixmile Creek. Follow this gravel road for about 4 miles until you reach a small fenced in parking lot which serves as the winter access point. During the summer months, travel through the gate and into the Sixmile creek drainage. Follow this road for about a mile and turn left off on an obscure single track dirt road that leads directly to the Gold Prize Creek trailhead.

Route Description


From the Gold Prize trail head follow an old road east for ¾ mile and head north up an obvious washed-out gully. Follow the gully which is initially quite steep, but eventually flattens out into a grassy trail, for about a mile to the northeast where the route again meets an old road. Travel east down the road briefly to one of two gully’s that lead to point 7,561’, or the bottom of an immense and gradually sloping meadow. In that meadow you will find a fence line intended to keep livestock out of the valley to the east. Following this fence line will bring you to the top of the meadow and into a sparse stand of trees which will naturally lead you to the northwest ridge. Be careful not to drop into the valley to the north of the ridge as you climb through the trees. Above tree line the climbing begins with areas of loose talus and scree. Simply follow the ridge to the summit. This is easy, enjoyable scrambling in the summer. Very near the summit there exists a bit of exposure on either side that is accentuated in the winter and spring with the presence of cornices.

Essential Gear


In the summer simply be prepared for a day in the Rockies. No special equiptment is necessary.

In the winter bring an ice axe. Crampons would be advisable but not totally necessary

Miscellaneous Info


If you have information about this route that doesn't pertain to any of the other sections, please add it here.


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.