Northwest Ridge Climber's Log

Viewing: 1-8 of 8
Dow Williams

Dow Williams - Jul 3, 2021 6:19 am Date Climbed: Jul 2, 2021

The Thumb  Sucess!

On sight free soloed. Less than an hour from the car to the base of the climb. 30 minutes on the four pitches as laid out on MP.com. 30 minutes to the summit. An hour from the summit back to the car. To call this climb an alpine II as mp.com has it is confusing. The descent was incredibly simple, I have seen discussion of rapping which makes no sense. It is an easy walk off down the east side of the summit to an obvious notch returning down scree to the La Luz trail. The crux, an exposed face move at the start of pitch 3 over a piton (2021) is heady if wet (I was rained on most of the day). The rest of the route is just a grade over a scramble. Cool objective with a lot of low angled ground.

whatdoIknow

whatdoIknow - Jun 7, 2018 8:21 am Date Climbed: Jun 5, 2018

nice  Sucess!

My 10 years old daughter's biggest climb. Coming from Florida I might have aimed a bit too big with it, but she pushed through the fear.

asmrz

asmrz - Sep 21, 2015 1:44 pm Date Climbed: Sep 7, 2015

NW Ridge  Sucess!

Penelope and I climbed the NW Ridge by hiking down to its base from the Crest. We scouted the start the day before our climb. Soloed the route after first five pitches (as recommended).
Nice route on reasonable rock.

seano

seano - Oct 30, 2014 4:02 pm Date Climbed: Oct 27, 2014

Fun solo  Sucess!

Looped over the Thumb on my way down La Luz, after scrambling up the Knife Edge of the Shield. It felt more like ~5.4, except the one bulge with the old pin, which I avoided to its left.

Liba Kopeckova

Liba Kopeckova - Jan 27, 2013 10:01 am

first multi pitch for me  Sucess!

This was my first multi pitch climb for me back in 2009 (yes, I started climbing late after raising a kid and getting my carrier going). We had a late start and finished when it was dark on the top, descent in dark and we had no lamps. It was an adventure. We reached our car at the top of Sandia Crest after midnight.

strudolyubov

strudolyubov - Oct 3, 2011 10:12 pm Date Climbed: Oct 1, 2011

Northwest Ridge  Sucess!

Climbed the Thumb via NW Ridge route with Yasu. Led all technical pitches. Went off-route on a couple of pitches staying close to the ridge crest. After 5 roped pitches, scrambled to the Northern and Main (South) summits. Fun route, stellar views.

matthewp

matthewp - Sep 25, 2011 3:34 pm Date Climbed: Sep 24, 2011

First Trad Climb!  Sucess!

My first trad climb ever! Doing it in my trail running shoes made it more difficult than it should have been! But it was a great experience!
Talk about feeling small!

Garon Coriz

Garon Coriz - Apr 21, 2010 6:47 pm Date Climbed: Aug 9, 2009

First Climb Since the Start of Med-School  Sucess!

Beautiful day with Will and Johanna hiking up La Luz, blazing the ridge, and descending the same way.

Viewing: 1-8 of 8
Return to 'Northwest Ridge' main page