Viewing: 1-20 of 20
mtwashingtonmonroe

mtwashingtonmonroe - Oct 6, 2004 9:26 pm - Voted 10/10

Untitled Comment

Great page! This is another great RMNP peak and you've covered it really well! Nice photos too! Have a good one!

-Britt

Aaron Johnson

Aaron Johnson - Oct 6, 2004 10:56 pm - Voted 10/10

Untitled Comment

Great photos and perspectives. I probably would have combined the three mountains into one page. Makes some sense and it's a little less work!

smudge

smudge - Oct 7, 2004 12:24 am - Hasn't voted

Untitled Comment

I thought about that too...but I didnt know if anyone would post some of the technical routes on the east side of Notchtop...which I ended up thinking deserved its own page. Anyway...it wasnt too much more work...a lot of cutting and pasting on the info for the park ;)



Thanks for the vote and the comments!

Brad Snider

Brad Snider - Oct 6, 2004 11:30 pm - Voted 10/10

Untitled Comment

Yet another excellent RMNP mountain page! Great job!

Rob

Rob - Oct 7, 2004 12:15 am - Voted 10/10

Untitled Comment

Very nice.

Nelson

Nelson - Oct 7, 2004 12:16 am - Voted 10/10

Untitled Comment

Regardless of where the heck the true summit is, this is a nice page with good photos.

smudge

smudge - Oct 7, 2004 12:28 am - Hasn't voted

Untitled Comment

Thanks Nelson! Yeah...I have seen the "true" summit listes at the high point of the tower, and as the high point of the ridgeline above. But standing on the high point above the notch tower, it seemed like it was a lower extension of that high point I was standing on, connected by a knife ridge. So I put the topozone summit as the high point above and listed the elevation as the top of the tower..a compromise ;)

Joseph Bullough

Joseph Bullough - Oct 7, 2004 9:18 am - Voted 10/10

Untitled Comment

Well done page - good job.

Andy

Andy - Oct 7, 2004 10:27 am - Voted 10/10

Untitled Comment

Nice work.

Kane

Kane - Oct 7, 2004 10:27 am - Voted 10/10

Untitled Comment

Your sig photo is professional photography! This is well written page with great photos, sorry if I came across too rough in the debate about the true summit. I respect your mountaineering/photography passion and hope we are cool. BTW- your added section on the true summit debate is a perfect addition to the page.

smudge

smudge - Oct 7, 2004 12:12 pm - Hasn't voted

Untitled Comment

No way Kane...in no way was I offended by anyones comments. I completely respect that arguement and debated whether or not I should even add the mountain at all.



My judgement came only after I was standing on that hogh point, where it truly feels like you are standing on the summit of that massif. But I understand how/why others would feel otherwise.



Of course we are cool...it would take infinitely more than anything you or others said about this issue to get me angry or upset. I thought it was a great debate and am very glad I added this mountain now that that interesting conversation took place.



Thanks for the vote and the nice comments of the photography. And yes, while I have only started to begin to get into technical climbing, I am very much a lover of the mountains and pretty much any and all sports/hobbies/etc.. that have anything to do with them!

Arthur Digbee

Arthur Digbee - Jul 31, 2008 3:05 pm - Voted 10/10

Re: Untitled Comment

I'm with you, smudge, on the feel from that (unnamed) high point, it's a great view *down* at the summit. Obviously Notchtop deserves its name, but it's too bad that the highpoint is unnamed. It's weird to look down on a summit.

If it were a housing development it would be "Notchtop Heights" or some such silliness....

Maybe SP can give it an unofficial name? Notchtop Asterisk? Or just Asterisk Point?

RyanS

RyanS - Oct 7, 2004 11:16 am - Voted 10/10

Untitled Comment

Fabulous pics!

hgrapid

hgrapid - Oct 7, 2004 11:34 am - Voted 10/10

Untitled Comment

Nice job

Gangolf Haub

Gangolf Haub - Oct 7, 2004 12:09 pm - Voted 10/10

Untitled Comment

Beautiful!

Moni

Moni - Nov 2, 2004 7:22 pm - Voted 10/10

Untitled Comment

This is a good page. For Christ's sake don't grovel! I think not everything is always black and white. You were a lot closer to the offically named summit than most and climbing the actually named spire can always be done, if it is that big of a deal. It is in this case more important to know about the area, how to get there and what the possibilties are and you have done a fine job of it.

brenta

brenta - Nov 2, 2004 10:59 pm - Voted 10/10

Untitled Comment

This is a good page, and you don't need to be too apologetic for what was an honest mistake. I have an old edition of the Dannens' guidebook, and I can confirm that it is misleading. On the other hand, I've checked both Ormes's Guide to the Colorado Mountains and Bueler's Roof of the Rockies: Both unequivocally identify Notchtop's summit.

Your pictures are top-notch--now, that's an easy pun--and I would have never learned that much about Notchtop if the Dannens had not misled you. So, all's well that ends well.

smudge

smudge - Nov 2, 2004 11:20 pm - Hasn't voted

Untitled Comment

Thanks for the comments....and you are right about Roach's description...I don't know where I got that either. I like the pun! Ha

coljayms

coljayms - Feb 11, 2005 11:00 am - Voted 10/10

Untitled Comment

Best shot of the Notch, ever!

CharlesD

CharlesD - Mar 14, 2005 4:59 pm - Voted 10/10

Untitled Comment

Methinks thou doth protest too much. A great page, even if you didn't, technically, reach the summit. The photos are spectacular and the commentary quite colorful. Kudos!

Viewing: 1-20 of 20
Return to 'Notchtop Mountain' main page