Page Type Page Type: Canyon
Location Lat/Lon: 34.96644°N / 111.75018°W
Activities Activities: Hiking, Mixed
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Oak Creek Canyon is an extremely popular recreation area just north of Sedona. Highway 98A runs right through it, allowing for incredibly easy access, although limited solitude. Oak Creek Canyon is famous for Slide Rock State Park, which tends to be unpleasantly overrun with tourists. A myriad of trails spring off from the road and climb both sides of the canyon. As the creek runs along a fault system, the west rim is about 1,000 feet higher than the east. Therefore, the east rim hikes are shorter with 700-1000 foot gains, while the east rim hikes are usually 2,000+ feet. Wilson Mountain, the southern most section of the west rim, offers the most challenge in the area (note: Wilson Mountain has it's own summitpost page).

Getting There

From the "Y" in Sedona, head north on Highway 89A and you will soon enter the canyon. The canyon can also be reached from Flagstaff heading south on 89A.

Red Tape

A Red Rock Pass is required for parking on the Coconino National Forest in the Sedona area (almost everywhere in Oak Creek Canyon). The Red Rock Pass can be obtained for daily, weekly or yearly use. The following day-use sites require a separate fee OR accept "weekly" and "grand annual" Red Rock Passes: Banjo Bill, Call 'O the Canyon, and Grasshopper Point.
Official Red Rock Pass Information Page

Camping

Camping is prohibited anywhere in the canyon outside established campgrounds. Oak Creek Canyon has four campgrounds to choose from: Pine Flat, Cave Springs, Bootlegger, and Manzanita.
Information and Map for Oak Creek Campgrounds

External Links

Sedona Area Trails Map