Obsidians basic rock and snow clinic.

Obsidians basic rock and snow clinic.

Page Type Page Type: Album
Additional Information Image Type(s): Rock Climbing, Ice Climbing, Alpine Climbing

Basic Rock.

The columns, Eugene oregon.
The columns Eugene,Oregon.
Columns Eugene,Oregon.

Once again spring has arrived, the annual climb school is in session. The Obsidian outdoor club with help from Eugene mountain rescue come together to teach the basics to eager students.

We had twenty two students attend this year. Their abilities ranged from beggining to intermediate, looking to refresh there skills. The classes are designed to give the students the skills to follow on organized climbs with the ability to watch out for themselves in a wilderness setting.

We held one classroom session each for rock and for snow. The field sessions were held over two consecutive weekends. The rock field session was held at the skinners butte park basalt columns near downtown Eugene. The basic rock course covered safety,risk factors,Knots,gear and instruction on belay,rappel, and travel on fixed line.

We had great weather for the field sessions. A generous amount of hands on information from the instructors as well as the assistants. It created a comprehensive fun filled dynamic intro to the world of rock climbing. I posted some large pics of the class as well as a image album below.

Snow and glacier travel.

The basic snow covered safety,risk factors,knots,gear and instruction on anchores ,self arrest and snow and glacier travel. There is a more advanced crevasse rescue course for individules who have demonstrated competance and committment to climbing usually held in late june. I have posted here large pics of some outings on snow and ice. the obsidians are a outdoor recreation club. we host activities year around. The club is active in climbing, hiking,backpacking,skiing,snowshoeing,bicycling,boating and bus trips.
Team leader Mark taking a...
Mt Hood southside.
Add External Links text Eugene mountain rescue is a volunteer organization that assists the county sheriff in search and rescue operations. they specialize in high angle rescue of climbers,skiers,hunters,and airplane accident victims. The two organizations work together to provide technical training to those that are interested in volunteering there time in the outdoors.

Comments

No comments posted yet.