Ochsenkar

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 47.42000°N / 13.05000°E
Additional Information Route Type: Basic hike with traversing snow-fields
Additional Information Time Required: Half a day
Additional Information Difficulty: Walk-up
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach


From Mühlbach, south of Hochkönig, by car or bus to Arthurhaus, 1.502m, on Mitterberg at the end of the Mandlwandstreet. Park here. Eastwards slowly ascending beneath the heads of the Mandlwand to Mitterfeldalm, 1.670m (0,5h). Mitterfeldalm can be reached from Werfen, too (much longer).

Route Description


Turning around the Vierrinnenköpfe into the huge coombe called Ochsenkar. Following the marked path, that will soon become steeper. After passing the upper coombe beneath the walls of Torsäule to the right the little "glacier lake" is reached. Traversing the plain glacier (dangerous if foggy) the rocky culmination point with the hut (»Matrashaus«) is reached over some ladders.

About 5 hours from Arthurhaus.

This tour is also one of the popular ski tours of Hochkönig.

A survey-card can be found at the web-page of »Matrashaus«).

Essential Gear


The glacier is harmless. Usually no belaying. If traversing to Torscharte in the west in late summer crampons or groedeln are useful.

Miscellaneous Info


If you have information about this route that doesn't pertain to any of the other sections, please add it here.
Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.