On the Trail of an old Trek of Exploration (1902) - First Part

On the Trail of an old Trek of Exploration (1902) - First Part

Page Type Page Type: Trip Report
Location Lat/Lon: 45.67899°N / 7.38481°E
Date Date Climbed/Hiked: Nov 30, 0000
Activities Activities: Mountaineering
Seasons Season: Summer

Clerical/Mountaineering OVERVIEW




An old exploration tour takes us back in time almost 112 years in the history of the Group of Mount Emilius (3559m). They were well past 79 years since its first ascent in 1823 by South-southeast Crest or the "Three Capuchins", and yet all the other its ridges were unexplored. A true gold mine for rock climbers Era, which did not let the opportunity pass. The small and resourcheful Abbot Henry Bionaz with the Reverend Pastor of the tiny Municipality of Saint Nicolas, accompanied by a Guide with a mule Charvensod Grégoire Comé engaged in this business for four days at the end of the Summer of 1902. Listen to them in the RM 1903 pages 73/78:

" TWO NEW WAYS TO MOUNT EMILIUS (m. 3559 ) THE RIDGE EAST AND WEST RIDGE"
"Last year I was just aware of the competition organized by the Italian Touring Club for twelve monographs of the Italian mountains, it occurred to me that I could devote myself to that concerning the Mount Emilius and Becca of Nona, I already knew that the mountains made ​​for hiking and i had, so to speak, on hand to be able to better learn and study. In order to be able to complete something, I thought to participate in the competition Valdotaine Flore, a company which has among its members the passionate and competent scholars of the various branches of natural history.
Therefore let the discussion part of botany Prof. Lino Vaccari, and to the Reverends Thomasset and Bionaz to take care of photographs and, since I intended to revise meticulously describe the places that I wanted, I decided to go to spend a week, employing the best local Guide, Comé Grégoire of Charvensod, to accompany me and help me designed in exploration. He was punctual to the appointment that I had given him in Aosta on the morning of September 15: did you also find the Friend Reverend Bionaz, and made ​​the necessary provisions, we sent him to Charvensod, where a mule brought them to the hospitable house Comboé built by the Reverend Canon Carrel and that was to be our shelter throughout the week, thanks to the courtesy of the Reverend Canon Bozon who left the key at our disposal. "


We are at the beginning of the Century, a century that from there recently will know the horrors of the First World War. After the Age of the English that comes with the clergy that fans Priests/Mountaineers will leave an important mark in the history of Mountaineering, already preceded by the Rev. W.A.B. English Coolidge, as well as the Priests of the Aosta Valley Pierre Chanoux, Pietro Baldassare Chamonin Curate of Cogne and the first to climb the Punta Tersiva and Ame also Aimé Gorret "L'Ours de la Montagne" which was part of the roped by Jean Antoine Carrel "The Bersagliere" in the first climb from the Italian side of the Matterhorn. Remarkably the figure of the Reverend Jean-Georges Carrel (Châtillon 1870-1940 Aosta), Scientist and Naturalist famous throughout Europe and called "The Friend of the English" for its dealings with Richard Henry Budden, James David Forbes, George Murray, John Tyndall, Francis Fox Tuckett, Edward Whymper etc. and founder in 1866 of the Section of C.A.I. Aosta, second in Italy after Turin (1863), and Life President of the same. Other strong Priests/Mountaineers will give luster to the Aosta Valley in the beginning of this century as the Abbots Jean "Louis" Bonin and Pantaléon Bovet that August 2th, 1906 will be set to the Joseph-Marie Henry and Engineer Nino Tofani the first ascent of the North-Northeast Edge, since then called "Crest of the Three Curates"; as well as the Abbots N. Blanc and O. Crétaz a few days later, on August 10th, on West Wall of the Great Roise (3357m). A group of brave people who, perhaps, taken with the origin Monk Naturalist Laurent-Joseph Murith which together with the Hunter Genoud made ​​the first ascent of Mount Velan (3734m) starting from the Hospice of the Great St. Bernard Pass away August 31th, 1779. Along the same mountain will be the Abbot Pantaléon Bovet, Valérien Jaccod and Evanzio Blanc to make the first ascent winter, December 28th, 1904. Had short or British, Soldiers, Priests or Mountain Guides, to be the big alpinism. In Breuil-Valtournanche tell that to the kids who were born were thrown out of the window: those who fell in feet became Guides, those who rush to head down Priests and those the side Priests/Mountaineers ... But back to us and to the "Expedition 1902".




Un vecchio giro d'esplorazione ci riporta indietro nel tempo di quasi 112 anni nella Storia del Gruppo del Monte Emilius (3559 m). Eran passati ben 79 anni dalla sua prima ascensione nel 1823 tramite la Cresta Sud-sudest o dei "Tre Cappuccini" ed ancor tutte la altre sue creste eran inesplorate. Una vera miniera d'oro per gli alpinisti dell'Epoca, che non se ne lasciaron sfuggire occasione. Il piccolo ed intraprendente Abbé Henry con il Reverendo Bionaz Parroco del minuscolo Comune di Saint Nicolas, accompagnato dalla Guida a mulo di Charvensod Grégoire Comé s'impegnarono in quest'impresa di quattro giorni sul finir dell'Estate del 1902. Ascoltiamoli dalla RM 1903, pagine 73/78:

" DUE NUOVE VIE AL MONTE EMILIUS (m. 3559) LA CRESTA EST E LA CRESTA OVEST"
"L'anno scorso appena ebbi conoscenza del concorso indetto dal Touring Club Italiano per dodici monografie di montagne italiane, mi venne in mente che io potevo dedicarmi a quella riguardante il Monte Emilius e la Becca di Nona, montagne che già conoscevo per escursioni fattevi e che avevo per così dire sotto mano per poterle meglio conoscere e studiare. Alfine di riuscire a qualche cosa di completo, pensai di farvi concorrere la Flore Valdotaine, società che conta tra i suoi membri degli appassionati e competenti studiosi dei vari rami della storia naturale.
Lasciai pertanto la trattazione della parte botanica al prof. Lino Vaccari, e ai rev. Thomasset e Bionaz di occuparsi di fotografie e, poiché intendevo rivedere minutamente i luoghi che volevo descrivere, decisi di recarmivi a passare una settimana, impegnando la migliore guida locale, Comé Gregorio di Charvensod, per accompagnarmi e aiutarmi nella progettata esplorazione. Egli fu puntuale allo appuntamento datogli in Aosta pel mattino del 15 settembre: vi si trovò pure l'amico rev. Bionaz e, fatte le necessarie provvigioni, lo spedimmo a Charvensod, di dove un mulo le portò a Comboé nella casa ospitale fatta erigere dal reverendo can. Carrel e che doveva essere il nostro rifugio per tutta la settimana, grazie alla cortesia del rev. can. Bozon che lasciò la chiave a nostra disposizione".


Siam agli albori del Secolo, tale che da lì a poco tempo conoscerà gli orrori della Prima Guerra Mondiale. Dopo l'Era degli Inglesi arriva quella del Clero che con appassionati Preti/Alpinisti lascerà un'importante impronta nella Storia dell'Alpinismo, già preceduti dal Reverendo Inglese W.A.B. Coolidge, nonché dei Preti della Valle di Aosta Pierre Chanoux, Pietro Baldassarre Chamonin Curato di Cogne e primo salitore della Punta Tersiva e Amé o Aimé Gorret "L'Ours de la Montagne" facente parte della cordata di Jean Antoine Carrel "Il Bersagliere" nella prima salita dalla parte italiana del Cervino. Merita sottolineare la figura del Reverendo Jean-Georges Carrel (Châtillon 1870-1940 Aosta), Scienziato e Naturalista famoso in tutt'Europa e conosciuto come "L'Amico degli Inglesi" per i suoi rapporti con Richard Henry Budden, James David Forbes, George Murray, John Tyndall, Francis Fox Tuckett, John Tyndall, Edward Whymper ecc. nonché fondatore nel 1866 della Sezione del C.A.I. di Aosta, la seconda in Italia dopo Torino (1863), e Presidente a Vita della medesima. Altri forti Preti/Alpinisti daran lustro alla Val d'Aosta in quest'inizio di Secolo come gli Abati Jean "Louis" Bonin e Pantaléon Bovet che il 2 Agosto 1906 saranno insieme all'Henry ed all'Ingegner Nino Tofani nella prima salita dello Spigolo Nord-nordest, da allor chiamato "Cresta dei Tre Curati"; nonché gli Abati N. Blanc e O. Crétaz pochi giorni appresso, il 10 Agosto, sulla Parete Ovest della Grande Roise (3357 m). Una schiera di coraggiosi che, forse, prese origine col Monaco Naturalista Laurent-Joseph Murith; insieme al Cacciatore Genoud effettuò la prima salita del Mont Velan (3734 m) partendo dall'Ospizio del Gran San Bernardo nel lontano 31 Agosto 1779. Sulla stessa montagna saranno l'Abate Pantaléon con Valérien Jaccod ed Evanzio Blanc ad effettuarne la prima salita invernale, il 28 Dicembre 1904. Insomma o s'era Inglesi, Soldati, Guide oppure Preti, per esser big dell'Alpinismo. Raccontan che al Breuil di Valtounenche i bambini che nascevan venivan lanciati dalla finestra: quelli che cadevan in piedi diventavan Guide, quelli che precipitavan a testa in giù Preti e quelli di fianco Preti/Alpinisti ... Ma ritorniam a noi ed alla "Spedizione 1902".




1902 EXPEDITION

September 1902

The two climbers depart from Aosta and instead of ride off to the West in the direction of the small Villages Bondine, Pissina Sala, Gorre, Léseré and Pousse, passing to the East and more, a mule, they go to Reverrier (the use of place names that time) to photograph the "Devil's Wall", a series of pyramids, long over 150 metres high and 30 to 40 in the side of the Valley of Dard (waterfall), continuing on the path along the Torrent de Comboé reach Ponteilles with its cascade (above 1750 metres) and the muletrack reach above the Valley of Comboé and the House of the Canons of St. Ours (2100m) these days that will become their "base camp".




Monday 15th: approach to Comboé Alp: "... She began to Comboé night. Messe outside commissions, dined, and without doing anything else you went to sleep to be prepared the next day early in the morning ...".

The next day is a day of "full": get up at 3.00 and by the light of lanterns reach "the Refuge des Poulains" (foals), where the lanterns go out, following the ancient path trace made ​​by Canon Perrier, for the usual way of Lake Ice, Glacier of Emilius and Three Capuchins Pass, with a view to a dozen chamois, 9.'30 reach the Top. Who reaches Emilius knows that you have enough, but this is not true for our volcanic Abbot has extraordinary energy and a desire to learn even stronger.

Tuesday 16th: exploring the Eastern & Western Ridges: " ... My aim was not so much to touch the Summit, but as you know all the parts for which it is available, so first we headed for the Eeastern ridge, which descends directly to the lakes of the Lores. Comé said that it was not yet been climbed, an Englishman, who had led him on a day Emilius, wanted groped downhill from there, but, not being provided with ropes, did not dare to venture.
We, leaving the Reverend Bionaz take peace in the photographs from the summit, we began the descent to the East ridge, which begins to take shape a few feet below the summit, and precisely at the point where the Reverend Canon Carrel had erected his tent, and where you can still see a small platform with a wall that supports it.
A extent that we descended along the ridge we were more and more amazed at not encountering any serious difficulty. It is formed by large boulders on which you can proceed very quickly, so we came down soon. A descent of a quarter of an hour at most there separated by a small lake of Lores, called Lac Glacé. Judging fall over completely useless, because one look turned up at the base of the ridge had us convinced of the ease of this last section, we climbed the same route, using the same time that descent, ie 1 hours and a quarter. Found ourselves on the Top the friend Bionaz, very annoyed at being left there alone for a long time.
Meanwhile, I was caught by the insane urge to go down to the North-North-East edge that falls on the Hill Peccoz ... But this way it will be a tough nut to crack for another time.".


But the little Abbot is not tired yet. Son of a Guide by Courmayeur (Fabien-Gratien), in spite of its tiny size and stature possess those characteristics of tenacity and willingness of the mountain another time. Son of the Mount Blanc. Look at the other side to the West the long ridge with almost 2 km route down to the Becca of Nona, the route that is currently covered and that comes from the abominable Via Ferrata of Emilius. Completely unexplored and therefore never traveled, and here will understand why. In a moment "takes" his Mountain Guide Grégoire, leaving for the second time on the Summit poor Reverend Bionaz with his camera, he throws down the ridge.

" ... First the entire route west ridge, with variation on the South side - remained to explore the west ridge up to the shoulder of Emilius, also known as Little Emilius. Went down to fifty meters sideways in the direction of the ridge, leaving again our photographer in the sun, in a safe place, let's get down to it. A white cliff cut into the bar immediately lead us up, but we go down for about ten yards to our left, where up to a snowy ledge leads us to the feet horizontally of this cliff, and then on the edge of the ridge that we continue to follow. A red rock she cut peak for about 5 metres obliges us to abandon a second time the ridge for a few meters, after which no more abandon the going down, we can easily bow above the abyss and contemplating the North wall of Emilius, that with an icy slope and almost perpendicular to 600 m. falls on the glacier Arpisson. Continue down always keeping us on the cutting edge of the ridge and arrive at the base of the head of Mount Emilius, there where the shoulder begins predicted that today we can not go up to his end, but that will travel tomorrow. Return back but with the difference that instead of redoing the whole ridge, we cut across the whole mountain on the South side to the top of "Passage Corona" and beyond, through a breach-gravel quite long, we go right to reach on the Summit Bionaz. Behold therefore explored a second pass.
Let us go down through a road metal-breach aforesaid the Reverend Bionaz, then we turn to our right horizontally to a large couloir in which we move. It now broad, now narrow and shaped fireplace, leads us to the base of the rocks.
... Once at the base of the rock, glide to the small lake, which lies to the north -east of Lac Gelé of Emilius. To avoid the very laborious breach-walloon leading to Arbole, climb to the Ross Pass (about 3000 metres ) on the ridge south-west of Little Emilius, to descend into the Walloon of Comboé. We arrived at the Grand Scez (footnote: large boulder squared), then the plan Valé finally to the house of Canon Carrel as night falls, very happy with our day".


Wednesday 17th: completing from "Becca" through the Carrel Hill the route towards Emilius. But the exploration of the ridge is not yet complete and the Abbé knows him well. The route was partial to the base of the tail or head of Emilius. There are still easy but long stretch almost horizontal, over the past ilm Little Emilius (3342m), reaches the extreme Western summit of the ridge, where it splits. This point, called by a few years Mount Ròss of Comboé (3285m) topographic node turns out to be quite important, by the same, in fact, a branch of the ridge down to the South-southwest to form, after the hill of the same name, the long spur, heading towards the Walloon of Arbolle, serves to separate this from that of the Comboé. But this part of the ridge, long and jagged, does not affect our Abbot, however, tries to solve the problem of crossing to the Northwest, between the Walloons of Comboé and th'Arpisson in the direction of the underlying Carrel Hill (2912m; door the name of Canon Jean-Georges Carrel which was also dedicated, but without success, the name of Becca di Nona, but without great success and later abandoned ), where, finally, the crest rises finally to the "Becca". This is the intent and the small and persevering Abbé will pursue the following day. Almost felt a premonition that the crest had the time counted. In fact, a few days after the two climbers Ligurian Section of the C.A.I., Emilio Questa and Felice Mondini, the thinking and writing will rise to be the first, unaware of the route Henry-Comé, departing directly from Aosta Town, all in the same day. A nice firm, which, unfortunately, seconds will make them for eternity as seconds. The Abbé, perhaps scenting danger, is prepared for the next day: the night brings counsel ... more.

" ... First of the route on North-Noerth-West Ridge towards Little Emilius. Purpose of our race of the day 17 it is not that the Becca of Nona and the Shoulder of Emilius, do not judge necessary to leave so early and even to accelerate the step. Thus, walking swinging along the path ordinary, we reached the top of the Becca di Nona or Pic Carrel (3142m) at 10 am. Happened here, an unfortunate incident friend Bionaz. His camera, not well secured on his tripod, was overthrown by a gust of wind, and very nearly did not roll around to the foot of the mountain. Fortunately, he had also brought a "Photo- Jumelle" with which he could easily remedy the disaster.
I wanted to try and Comé the North-North-West Ridge that Carrel from the Hill (2911) salt to said Shoulder, or Little Emilius, which connects the West Crest of Emilius; therefore left alone again and the friend Bionaz descended to said Pass. Here decided commissions and then forward to the crest. The climb did not look hard every now and then we called Bionaz who was on the Becca of Nona and the level of which soon arrived. But the story changed abruptly, two-thirds of the climb when we already saw near the great Shoulder, almost touching it, that's the ridge immediately introduced us as a sheer cliff of about twenty metres, so as to block the passage to us. What to do? Return to the Hill Carrel was not the case of thinking, it was impossible to continue on the ridge. The only solution was to get groped for a while and see another possibility to overcome the cliff by another way. This is what we did".


"Le mauvais Pas & Superstition"




There is always something in Life that goes contrary to what we imagine, and generally surprises us. When you least expect it, here comes the hitch. Will the Devil, or a Brother watching you from above you that it's bad luck. Spares no one, not even the Priests and need to know to overcome the impasse. How? Praying or doing better work our brains. The resources are not lacking ...

" ... After getting off to fifty meters, we crossed on our right in the direction of Ross Hill, as if we wanted to go there, and we found two couloirs, side by side, both of which could bring us to the ridge just above the cliff, that it had withheld. We were able to follow one or the other, but preferring to move on, we climbed directly across the top of the great Shoulder, following a line that is almost equal to the distance between the crest of North-North-West and the South-West of the Shoulder, leaving the our right a large slab of rock almost smooth.
Gone beyond this, we came to a "Capuchin". Being well lit by the setting sun, it seemed to look at us. "The Cappuccino is watching us", says Comé, "bad sign". We pass over him, I added, and then it will pay the back and there will be a good sign. So we did, and helping with hands and feet on a rock crumbled, but sure enough, we reached the top of the Shoulder or Little Emilius.
Then I said to Comé: "grant me a little satisfaction: "let's go to the point where we had to stop yesterday, to be able to say and write what we have done throughout the crest of Emilius, from the Carrel Hill to the Summit, and that those who wish to repeat the same way they are sure to be able to see the whole". Comé agreed and followed me to the crest of the Shoulder: so I had the satisfaction of reaching the precise point which I had reached the previous day down to the other side of the ridge from the top of Emilius.
Then returned back to the end of the Shoulder, where, instead of going down the same route to the West, that is to the left of the ridge North-North-West, we turned to the right, towards the glacier Arpisson, probably partly following the route taken in 1897 by the lords Daniele and Devalle (see "Riv . Mens. CAI", 1897, p. 385).
This via had not yet been held down.

(* Footnote: in reality the way in 1897 is located far to the right or down further to the East, almost vertical on the Little Emilius and still has not been repeated, and the descent took Comé -Henry instead of on the wall from the Mount Ròss declines with lower slope and with a lower height on the underlying Glacier Western Arpisson, as well evidenced by the continuous story).
We started with the follow very closely the ridge, then abandoning it completely, between boulders and fields of frozen snow, reached the base of the pyramid Emilius where it takes glacier starts to Arpisson. After we crossed on our left, and, going back a few feet, we managed to find ourselves at the other end the opposite, that is to the east of the small lake that is located on the hill Carrel and we coasted until we reached the point where we had abandoned clothes and commissions a few hours before. Not found most Reverend Bionaz, which had fallen to Comboé. Come here, a shepherd, the same man who gave us every night goat milk with which we were preparing, he said, a delicious soup, gave us a message of Bionaz, in which he said goodbye to us because his camera more great had broken down and could not be more helpful departed for Saint-Nicolas ... ".

The "Mission Emilius" is accomplished, but our Abbot has other things on his head and is not satisfied. After Emilius there is the Punta Rossa (3401m) with its three summits linking him to the Mount Valaisan, a large shoulder overlooking the eponymous below Pass and that serves as an important node topographic dividend three walloons: that of Grauson-Lussert in the Northeast, to Arbolle in the West, and finally that of the Arpisson above Gimillan-Epinel and the Valley of Cogne. Over the first and last stands the Pic Garin. This beautiful pyramid I never knew the origin of the name. Maybe you do not even know that the Abbé was a scholar of place-names and that, however, as his Mountain Guide Grègoire had never gone up. Probably, in my opinion, comes from a Garin, who is not the cyclist Maurice Arvier who won the, first amonst Italians, Tour de France in 1903, but an owner of the high pastures or the Walloon Arbolle or to Arpisson, the old name of Bassa (Low) of Garin suitable for the current Hill clearly indicates what should be the relevant holdings of land and the same was the higher limit. Let us, however, to a more serious and thorough study in order to resolve the problem. Certainly the Abbé did not even know the mountaineering history of the adjacent Punta Rossa Emilius to the point of a priori discard from his pamphlet of exploration. In fact, the same little was known except to those sects sparse lines appeared on page 64 of the Guide "Graian and Pennine Vol. II" by Giovanni Bobba and Luigi Vaccarone, in June 1896, where the brief descriptions of the three climbing routes appear more an analysis from the bottom than from a personal knowledge to get them covered. To the extent that the same is considered of 3340 metres and also confused with the nearby Punta des Laures (3367m), the three summits have instead shares altitude, from West to East, from 3401, about 3395 and approximately 3400 metres. A difference too great not to be noticed by those who would go up. However, everything in life you can not do, and our two worthy legs and feet if they were well worn through the Western Alps in length and breadth. Credit where credit. Top Incidentally this was still "in the dark" more than any other in the district (except the Tour Grauson climb in July 1909 by George Yield with Beniamino Pession) and to find the first ascent we must wait for the famous Reverend W.B.A. Coolidge with Franz Gardiner and the equally famous Swiss Mountain Guides Christian Almer and Rudolph the rise August 3th, 1891 as "Alpen Oesterreichische Zeitung" 1891 yet another story in "Monthly Magazine C.A.I." 1898 in respect of a first ascent of the West Face from the Pas of Valaisan by Agostino Ferrari with the Mountain Carrier B. Glarey Cogne in September of the same year. Northeast ridge that rises from the Hill of Arbole you must wait for the first climb, at least note, Gerolamo Segato (which will fall with his brother from North-northeast ridge called the "Scimitar" Grivola in 1919) in the Summer of 1910, where it is presented as the first traverse. Then the same will fall into oblivion until the Thirties with the first winter of Doctor "Ansel" Falcoz .
To the Garin, however B&V describe, in more detail, four-via, but even these seem to be taken from the bibliography that is not from personal knowledge. This last one was aware, thanks, "L'Alpinista" in 1875, the Monthly Magazine C.A.I." in 1894 and 1897, especially in the description of an ascent of August 23th, 1866 by Abbé Aimé Gorret and Companions through Chaz-Fleurie in "Guide de la Vallée d' Aoste" of the same in 1877 with Charles Bich, already anticipated by the "Bulletin of the C.A.I." 1866. The first ascent of the Abbots Balthazar Chamonin and Pierre Chanoux in 1856, although not very distant in time, you lose in mystery: it knows that departed from Aosta Town and nothing more, as told by the Abbot Henry in "L' Alpinisme et le Clergé Valdotain" in 1905 and 1911 had private information from Agostino Ferrari and then to confirm this in the "Statistics of first ascents in the Group of Great Paradise" 1908, and in "Bulletin of C.A.I." the same year. Nothing more, so that when the Abbé, "deleted" by the Red Point intent immediate, aimed at Peak Garin ideas unclear and very confused. But there it goes. So continues his exploration, ignoring the fact that what is going to climb a ridge then it is not so much "little virgin" because, although with some variation in the upper part resting in the couloir of the West Wall had already been roped climb from F.W. Oliver-C. Hiatt-C. Baker with the Star of Guides Swiss time: the very Great Alexander Burgener. That was the first day of September 1894 and at a distance of only 24 hours will have the same disappointment of Questa and Mondini on the West Ridge of Emilius. Tit for tat the saying goes, but they were unaware of this, however, and will carry out the first full path if not complete, because the final jump a little getaway right on the South Wall will also make the two of them ...

Thursday 18th: to Peak Garin by Southwestern Ridge. " ... II. ASCENSION OF THE POINT OR PEAK GARIN m . 3447 FOR THE SOUTH-WEST RIDGE
On Thursday 18th, the third day of exploration was the turn of Garin Peak. Comé I both knew only the name and very little in the routes of access. We have so did the climb to a ridge that had probably never done anyone, ie the South-West (the "Guide of the Western Alps, vol., Part 2°") by Bobba and Vaccarone describes a way to Punta Garin from the South-West
slope, for which it also follows a stretch of the South-West ridge).
The weather remained consistently good and this continued for the whole week was a charm.
We leave the shelter of our Comboé in broad daylight, heading verses Arbole of the houses, and from here to the Hill of Arpisson, or Low Garin. From the hill we turn left and soon we find ourselves in a very nice green lake which reflects the summit of Peak Garin. On paper, this lake does not have a name, and we call it Lake Garin. We address to the right of it and then, after a few steps, we find the ruins of an ancient hamlet."


The Discovery of Pueblo

"What is this then? None other than the walls, but natural, made of cut stones horizontally and symmetrically arranged on top of each other. There is to be deceived. Here the walls are seen very well, there are pieces of broken wall; elsewhere species of courtyards in front of ruined houses, the stone benches to sit in a corner in the midst of the four walls, the place of the hearth. Everything is so interesting and curious that deserves from Aosta to go see. With a camera you could do this to see who can not go."

The Climbing

"Reluctantly we detach ourselves from that town and head to a big boss, which seems a shoulder of the ridge South-west of Garin Peak. Arriving at the top of the shoulder, using both hands and feet, skirt, staying a little to the right under the ridge, and we finally arrive at the foot of the pyramid of Garin and his South-West ridge, that must lead us to the top. Truly this ridge made ​​us think: it had already made ​​me think well when we were still much lower. Up three quarters but it seemed accessible to the summit it was not so. Twenty or thirty metres below this, you could see three or four large rocky slabs, which does not show any way to hold onto, or with your hands nor with their feet. But why torment us with the thought of the future? Begin to do what you can, and then we'll see.
Next then. For a while it 's okay, but then it becomes difficult to climb. We need to move very close to chimneys, where those last remains of who is receiving the stones above. However, salt and the gap is largest around us. Finally we come to a point where there is no more possibility to continue. We turn then to the right and we are right in between those big slabs we saw from the bottom. Let's here, let's try it there, and there is no possibility to move forward. I seem to feel the impressions of tormenting those who are preparing to pass for the first time a step or tip virgin. Alight is the defeat; continue at any cost is the risk of finding ourselves at a point where where we can no longer go neither forward nor back. However, you have to clear a path through those big slabs, beyond which, the way maybe it gets easier.
Comé pulls the rope (it is the first and the last time we use it in a week). We bind ourselves, so I am going to look for a pass, while Comé remains still, still hold me. Slowly, slowly, and crawling on the cliff, do some steps. Although not far (7 or 8 metres) from Comé, I do not see it anymore , and I 'm strong attack well and I'll be close. From where I stand I see that the next part of the big plate is less difficult. When Comé around me and it is solidly anchored, I go for a second pitch, and finish with a second large horizontal slab and the same composition as the previous ones, separated from them by a deep furrow. Take place, with a small rope that I Comé jet to pick the two axes that embarrass him , after which he can reach me. Our pains are over, the end of the large slab of rock you can see an easy pass that brings us up to the top.
They are the 3 o'clock, so we took 3 hours from lake Garin. We find traces of a caravan arrived here a few days before. After a few moments of contemplation, getting late , we go down to the North-North-East ridge, partly rocky part of the ice, as you can see very well Emilius going on in the usual way. After a few hundred meters down the ridge shows horizontal for a short distance, then bends sharply to the west; slip the first couloir that is presented on this flat section, then, with a slip on a snowfield, we are at the small lake Garin, which we left on our left going up. We leave it to our left again in the return, then, to the Bassa (Lower) of Garin, or Hill of Arpisson, and chalets Arbole, we arrive at our hotel in Comboé to sleep on a good dry hay. ".


It closes the trip with a hike

Achieved all of the main goals, our two perform a walk " fatigue " and, starting from their refuge, bring on the ridge separating the Walloon of Comboé and the Basin of Pila, which then was not a resort but a great prairie suitable grazing in the middle of beautiful forests of pine, fir and larch, which appeared here and there a few scattered pastures. Meet the tiny Astronomical Observatory Sismonda and with a contemplative path, such that they see, like a postcard, all they had achieved during the previous days. Perhaps more to taste. They arrive to Lake Chamolé, dub on the right (West) the Black Head (2820m) and reach the Plan de l'Eyve (Ground Water), a second and more "hidden" dock door with an easy path to Tsa Setze Hill (2815m), from this rise to the Point of the Valletta (3090m) via the Southwest Ridge, an easy way but exposed, rarely frequented in the past but now has been transformed into a via Ferrata. From this large balcony from the top of which you can simultaneously see the bell towers of Aosta Town in the North and Cogne Hamlet to Southeast, even more you enjoy what has been achieved, opening like a fan in front of them all the peaks of Mount Emilius. They go down to the Northern buttress of the same and bypassing the Mount Bellefaçe (2970m), reaching the Black Head (Testa or Auille Nera also Neira), the Chamolé and lake. Finally Comboé return to their "retreat" waiting for the descent the next day to Aosta via the Hermitage of San Grato (1787m), then the subject of major processions in honor of the Patron Saint of the Town of Aosta. In those days there were no facilities and the ski slopes and even the Regional Road, for which thing down with a never-ending, but in the midst of a beautiful and unspoilt Nature, reach the valley passing the River Dora Baltea ancient Pont Suaz (567m; old bridge) above the true gateway to Paradise . Also we ...

Friday 19th:
crossing from Signal Sismonda to Tsa Setze Hill and from there to the Summit of Valletta with return via the Mount Bellefaçe, Testa Nera and Lake Chamolé. " ... On the fourth day, Friday 19th, was not that a walk. We climbed to the Signal Sismonda, from which we passed to Chamolé Lake, then to the Hill of Tsa-Sèche that leads to Arpisson, and thence to Cogne. From the hill of Tsa-Sèche returned to Comboé following the whole ridge of Valletta, ie: Valletta, Bella Faça, Black Head of Lake Chamolé, and Comboé. Tomorrow, Saturday, we went down to Aosta by the Plan Fenetre Hill and the Hermitage. With diligence the three o'clock I returned to Saint Pierre prosaically, the poem was finished.".

CONCLUSION


"The excursions of all these past few days, and especially the ascent of the Peak Garin to the ridge South-west, are the best memories of my life climbing. Among the highest peaks I have climbed Mount Blanc, Matterhorn, Grand Combin, Grivola, Velan, Giant's Tooth, Gran Paradiso and Grand Nomenon, the latter two in the winter, with no other Mountain Guides, it never occurred to me to taste a joy so great as in this blessed week.
A gorgeous weather, no wind, no clouds, the charm of the unknown and the new, continuously difficulties true, discover for yourself the pleasure of the way, instead of following like sheep behind the Guides, all together gave me a delight unspeakable .
I would like to strongly recommend that you pick up Garin followed the same ridge traversed by us, and I do not doubt that you feel the same impression we tested. This ridge is not easy, but not difficult either; forces you to study a little, because you do not have to use only your legs, but also the spirit. The Mountaineers novices, who want to measure their strength, they should groped this endeavor. However it will be more prudent in three ... Abbot Joseph Henry (Section Aosta).


But even we ...





Settembre 1902

I due alpinisti parton da Aosta ed invece del giro più largo verso Ovest in direzione dei Villaggetti di Bondine, Pissina Sala, Gorre, Léseré e Pousse, transitano più ad Est e, a dorso di mulo, vanno a Reverrier (utilizziamo la toponomastica di quel tempo) per fotografare il "Muro del Diavolo", una serie di piramidi di erosione lunga oltre 150 metri ed alta da 30 a 40 a fianco del Vallone del Dard (cascata); continuando sul sentiero lungo il Torrent de Comboé raggiungono Ponteilles con la sua cascata (1750 metri circa) e con la mulattiera raggiungono il soprastante Vallone del Comboé e la Casa dei Canonici di Sant'Orso (2100 m) che diventerà in questi giorni il loro "campo base".

Lunedì 15: si sale al Rifugio di Comboé: " ... a Comboé sul far della notte. Messe fuori le provvigioni, cenammo, e senz'altro si andò a dormire per essere preparati al domani di buon mattino ..."..

Il giorno dopo é una giornata "piena": si alzano alle ore 3,00 ed al lume delle lanterne raggiungono "le Refuge des Poulains" (puledrini), dove spengon le lanterne; seguendo l'antico sentiero fatto tracciare dal Padre Perrier, per la solita via del Lago Gelato, Ghiacciaio dell'Emilius e Passo dei Tre Cappuccini, con in bella vista una decina di camosci, alle 9,30' raggiungon la Cima. Chi raggiunge l'Emilius sà che ne hai di già abbastanza, ma questo non vale pel nostro vulcanico Abate che possiede energie straordinarie ed un desiderio di conoscere ancor più forte.

Martedì 16: esplorando la Cresta Orientale e quella Occidentale: " ... Scopo mio non era tanto di toccare la cima, quanto di conoscerne tutte le parti per le quali essa é accessibile; quindi da prima ci dirigemmo verso la cresta Est, che scende direttamente ai laghi dei Lores. Comé diceva che essa non era ancora stata salita; un inglese, ch'egli condusse un giorno sull'Emilius, voleva tentare la discesa di là, ma, non essendo muniti di corde, non osarono avventurarvisi.
Noi, lasciando il rev. Bionaz prendere in pace le fotografie dalla vetta, cominciammo la discesa per la detta cresta Est, la quale comincia a delinearsi a qualche metro sotto la cima, e precisamente nel punto dove il rev. canonico Carrel aveva eretto la sua tenda, e dove si vede ancora una piccola piattaforma con un muro che la sostiene.
A misura che si discendeva lungo la cresta eravamo vieppiù stupiti di non incontrare nessuna seria difficoltà. Essa é formata da grandi massi rocciosi sui quali si può procedere assai rapidamente; così noi giungemmo presto in basso. Una discesa di un quarto d'ora al massimo ci separava da un piccolo lago dei Lores, chiamato Lac Glacé. Giudicando affatto inutile di discendere più oltre, ché uno sguardo gettato fino alla base della cresta ci aveva convinti della facilità di questo ultimo tratto, risalimmo per la stessa via, impiegando il medesimo tempo che per la discesa, cioé ore 1 e 1/4. Ritrovammo sulla vetta l'amico Bionaz, molto seccato per essere stato lasciato là solo tanto tempo.
Io intanto fui preso da una pazza voglia di discendere per la cresta Nord-Nord-Est che cade sopra il Colle Peccoz ... Ma questa via sarà un osso duro per un altra volta."


Ma il piccolo abate non é ancor stanco. Figlio d'una Guida di Courmayeur (Fabien-Gratien), a dispetto della sua statura e taglia minuta possiede quelle caratteristiche di tenacia e volontà dei montanari d'altro tempo. Figlio del Monte Bianco. Guarda dall'altra parte verso Ovest la lunga cresta che con quasi 2 Km di percorso proviene scendendo verso la Becca di Nona, quella via che attualmente é percorsa dall'abominevole Ferrata dell'Emilius. Del tutto inesplorata e quindi mai percorsa, e qui capirà del perché. In un attimo "prende" la sua Guida Grégoire e, abbandonando per la seconda volta sulla Sommità il povero Reverendo Bionaz con la sua macchina fotografica, si lancia giù per la cresta.

" ... Primo percorso dell'intera cresta Ovest, con variante sul versante Sud. - Rimaneva da esplorare la cresta Ovest fino alla Spalla dello Emilius, detta anche Piccolo Emilius. Discesi per una cinquantina di metri obliquamente nel senso della cresta, lasciando nuovamente il nostro fotografo al sole, in luogo sicuro, proviamo a calare per essa. Una rupe bianca tagliata a picco ci sbarra subito il passo, ma noi discendiamo per una decina di metri sulla nostra sinistra, fin dove una cengia nevosa ci porta orizzontalmente ai piedi di detta rupe e quindi sul filo della cresta che continuiamo a seguire. Una rupe rossa pure tagliata a picco per circa 5 metri ci obbliga ad abbandonare una seconda volta la cresta per alcuni metri; in seguito non l'abbandoneremo più discendendo, possiamo facilmente chinarci sopra l'abisso e contemplare la parete Nord dello Emilius, che con un pendio ghiacciato e quasi perpendicolare di 600 m. cade sopra il ghiacciaio d'Arpisson. Continuiamo a discendere tenendoci sempre sul tagliente della cresta e giungiamo alla base della testa del Monte Emilius, là dove incomincia la Spalla predetta, che oggi noi non possiamo percorrere fino all'estremità, ma che percorreremo domani. Ritorniamo indietro ma colla differenza che, invece di rifare tutta la cresta, tagliamo trasversalmente tutta la montagna sul versante Sud fino alla sommità del Passaggio Corona e di là, attraversando un brecciaio piuttosto lungo, risaliamo diritto a raggiungere Bionaz sulla vetta. Ecco dunque esplorato un secondo passaggio.
Prendiamo con noi il rev. Bionaz e discendiamo il brecciaio anzidetto, poi volgiamo orizzontalmente alla nostra destra fino ad un grande couloir nel quale c'inoltriamo. Esso ora largo, ora stretto ed in forma di camino, ci conduce alla base delle rocce.
... Giunti alla base della roccia, scivoliamo fino al piccolo lago, che si trova al nord-est del Lac Gelé dell'Emilius. Per evitare il faticosissimo brecciaio che conduce ad Arbole, risaliamo fino al Colle Ross (m. 3000 circa) sulla cresta Sud-Ovest del Piccolo Emilius, per discendere di là nel vallone di Comboé. Giungiamo al Grand Scez (n.d.r. grande masso squadrato), poi al piano Valé, infine alla casa del can. Carrel sul far della notte, soddisfattissimi della nostra giornata".


Mercoledì 17: completando dalla Becca al Colle Carrel la Via verso l'Emilius. Ma l'esplorazione della cresta non s'é ancora conclusa e l'Abbé lo sà bene. Il percorso é stato parziale fino alla base della parte finale o testa dello Emilius. Mancano ancora il facile ma lungo tratto quasi orizzontale che, oltrepassato ilm Piccolo Emilius (3342 m) , raggiunge il vertice estremo Occidentale della cresta, ove questa si sdoppia. Questo punto, chiamato da non molti anni Mont Ròss de Comboé (3285 m) risulta essere nodo topografico alquanto importante; dallo stesso, infatti, un ramo della cresta scende verso Sud-sudovest a formare, dopo il colle con lo stesso nome, il lungo contrafforte che, dirigendosi verso il Vallone d'Arbolle, serve a separare questo da quello del Comboé. Ma questo tratto di cresta, lungo e frastagliato, non interessa al nostro Abate che, invece, cerca di risolvere il problema della traversata verso Nordovest, tra il Vallone di Comboé e quello dell'Arpisson, in direzione del sottostante Colle Carrel (2912 m; porta il nome del Canonico Jean-Georges Carrel al quale era stato anche dedicato, ma senza successo, il nome della Becca di Nona, ma senza grande successo ed in seguito abbandonato), dove, infine, la cresta si alza definitivamente alla "Becca". Questo é l'intento ed il piccolo e perseverante Abbé lo perseguirà il giorno appresso. Quasi sentisse la premonizione che la cresta aveva il tempo contato. Infatti pochi giorni dopo due alpinisti della Sezione Ligure del C.A.I., Emilio Questa e Felice Mondini, la saliranno pensando e scrivendo d'esser i primi, ignari del percorso Henry-Comé, con partenza direttamente da Aosta in giornata. Una bell'impresa, che, purtroppo, li eternerà come secondi. L'Abbè, fiutando forse il pericolo, si prepara per il giorno dopo: la notte porta sempre consiglio ...

" ... Primo percorso della cresta Nord-Nord-ovest dal Piccolo Emilius. Scopo della nostra corsa del giorno 17 non essendo che la Becca di Nona e la Spalla dello Emilius, non giudichiamo necessario di partire tanto di buon ora e neppure di accellerare il passo. Così, dondolandoci per il sentieroi ordinario, non giungemmo alla sommità della Becca di Nona o Pic Carrel (3142 m) che alle ore 10. Qui capitò uno spiacevole incidente all'amico Bionaz. La sua macchina fotografica, non bene assicurata sul suo treppiede, venne rovesciata da un colpo di vento, e poco mancò che non rotolasse fino ai piedi della montagna. Fortunatamente egli aveva pure portato una "Photo-Jumelle" con la quale poté facilmente rimediare alla disgrazia.
Io e Comé volevamo provare la cresta Nord-Nord-Ovest che dal Colle Carrel (m. 2911) sale a detta Spalla, o Piccolo Emilius, al quale si collega la cresta Ovest dello Emilius; lasciammo perciò di nuovo solo l'amico Bionaz e discendemmo fino a detto Colle. Qui disponemmo le provvigioni e poi avanti su per la cresta. La salita non si presentava difficile; ogni tanto noi chiamavamo Bionaz che stava sulla Becca di Nona ed al livello della quale presto arrivammo. Ma la storia cambiò bruscamente; ai due terzi della salita quando già vedevamo vicina la Spalla, quasi da toccarla, ecco che la cresta ci presentò subito come un dirupo a picco di una ventina di metri, così da sbarrare a noi il passaggio. Cosa fare? Ritornare al Colle Carrel non era il caso di pensarci; continuare per la cresta era impossibile. Unica soluzione da tentare era scendere per un tratto e vedere un'altra possibilità di superare il dirupo tramite un'altra via. Questo é quanto facemmo".


"Le mauvais Pas e la Superstizione"




Esiste sempre qualche cosa che nella Vita va al contrario di quanto noi immaginiamo, ed, in genere, ci sorprende. Quando meno te lo aspetti, ecco che arriva lo intoppo. Sarà il Diavolo, oppure un Frate che guardandoti dall'alto ti porta male. Non risparmia nessuno, neppure i Preti e bisogna sapere superare l'Impasse. Come? Pregando oppure facendo meglio funzionare il nostro cervello. Le risorse non mancano ...

" ... Ridiscesi di una cinquantina di metri, attraversammo sulla nostra destra in direzione del Colle Ross, come se volessimo portarvici, e trovammo due couloirs, uno di fianco all'altro, che entrambi potevano ricondurci sulla cresta e proprio superiormente al dirupo, che ci aveva trattenuti. Avremmo potuto seguire uno o l'altro; ma preferendo di oltrepassarli, salimmo direttamente di rimpetto alla sommità della Spalla, seguendo una linea che é press'a poco ad egual distanza tra la cresta Nord-Nord-Ovest e quella Sud-Ovest della Spalla, lasciando alla nostra destra un lastrone di roccia quasi liscia.
Oltrepassato questo, giungemmo ad un "cappuccino". Essendo ben illuminato dal sole che tramontava, esso pareva che ci guardasse. "Il Cappuccino ci guarda", dice Comé, "cattivo segno". Oltrepassiamolo, aggiunsi io, ed allora esso ci rivolgerà il dorso e sarà buon segno. Così facemmo e, aiutandoci con mani e piedi su per una roccia sgretolata, ma sufficientemente sicura, giungemmo alla sommità della Spalla o Piccolo Emilius.
Allora dissi a Comé: "accordatemi una piccola soddisfazione: andiamo fino al punto dove abbiamo dovuto arrestarci ieri, per poter dire e scrivere che noi abbiamo fatto tutta la cresta dell'Emilius, dal Colle Carrel fino alla vetta, e affinché quelli che vorranno ripetere la medesima via siano sicuri di poterla seguire per intero". Comé acconsentì e mi seguì per la cresta della Spalla: così ebbi la soddisfazione di giungere al punto preciso che avevo raggiunto il giorno precedente discendendo per l'altra parte della cresta dalla vetta dell'Emilius.
Ritornammo poi sui nostri passi fino all'estremità della Spalla, di dove, invece di ridiscendere per la stessa via ad Ovest, cioé a sinistra della cresta Nord-Nord-Ovest, volgemmo sulla destra, verso il ghiacciaio di Arpisson, probabilmente seguendo un pò del percorso fatto nel 1897 dai signori Daniele e Devalle (vedi "Riv. Mens. C.A.I.", 1897, pag. 385).
Ciò non di meno questa via non era ancora stata tenuta in discesa.

(* n.d.r.: in realtà la via del 1897 si trova molto più a destra scendendo ovvero più verso Est, quasi sulla verticale del Piccolo Emilius ed ancora oggi non é stata ripetuta; la discesa Comé-Henry avvenne invece sulla parte di parete che dal Mont Ròss declina con minore pendenza e con un altezza inferiore sul sottostante Ghiacciaio Occidentale di Arpisson, come bene si evince dal continuo del racconto).
Cominciammo col seguire molto da vicino la cresta, poi, abbandonandola del tutto, fra macigni e campi di neve ghiacciata, giungemmo alla base della piamide dell'Emilius al sommo del ghiacciaio d'Arpisson. Poscia attraversammo sulla nostra sinistra e, risalendo per alcuni metri, riuscimmo a trovarci all'altra estremità opposta, cioè a levante del piccolo lago che trovasi al Colle Carrel e che noi costeggiammo finché giungemmo al punto dove avevamo abbandonato abiti e provvigioni qualche ora prima. Non vi trovammo più il rev. Bionaz, il quale era disceso a Comboé. Ivi giunti, un pastore, quello stesso che ogni sera cedevaci il latte di capra con cui noi preparavamo, a suo dire, una squisita minestra, ci rimise un biglietto di Bionaz, in cui egli si congedava da noi perché la sua macchina più grande erasi guastata e non potendo più essere utile partiva per Saint-Nicolas...".

La "Missione Emilius" é compiuta, ma il nostro Abbé ha altro per la testa e non s'accontenta. Dopo l'Emilius c'é la Punta Rossa (3401 m) con le sue tre sommità che l'uniscono al Mont Valaisan, uno spallone che domina l'omonimo sottostante Pas e fungente da importante nodo topografico divisorio di ben tre valloni: quello del Grauson-Lussert a Nordest, quello d'Arbolle ad Occidente ed infine quello dell'altro Arpisson, al di sopra dei Villaggi Gimillan-Epinel e la Valle di Cogne. Sopra al primo ed all'ultimo s'innalza il Pic Garin. Di questa bella piramide non ho mai saputo l'origine del nome. Forse non lo sapeva neppur l'Abbé ch'era studioso della toponomastica e che, comunque, come la sua Guida Grègoire mai aveva salito. Probabilmente, a mio avviso, proviene da un Garin, che non é Maurice il ciclista di Arvier che vinse, primo Italiano, il Tour de France nel 1903, bensì un proprietario d'alti pascoli o sul Vallone di Arbolle o su quello dell'Arpisson; il vecchio nome di Bassa di Garin indicato per l'attuale Colle indica chiaramente quali dovevano essere i competenti possedimenti dei terreni ed il medesimo ne costituiva il limite più elevato. Lasciam comunque a studio più serio ed approfondito il compito di risolver problema. Di certo l'Abbé non conosceva neppure la storia alpinistica della attigua Punta Rossa dell'Emilius al punto di aprioristicamente scartarla dal suo pamphlet di esplorazioni. In effetti della medesima poco si sapea se non di quelle sette scarne righe apparse alla pagina 64 della Guida "Alpi Graie e Pennine Vol. II" di Giovanni Bobba e Luigi Vaccarone, Giugno 1896, ove le descrizioni sintetiche delle tre vie di salita appaion più frutto d'un'analisi dal basso che non da personale conoscenza per averle percorse. A tal punto che la stessa vien considerata di 3340 metri e confusa anche con la vicina Punta des Laures (3367 m); le tre sommità presentano invece quote di altitudine, da Ovest ad Est, di 3401, 3395 circa e 3400 metri. Una differenza troppo elevata per non esser notata da chi le avrebbe salite. Comunque nella vita tutto non si può far ed i nostri due benemeriti gambe e piedi se l'eran ben ben consumati attraversando l'Alpi Occidentali in lungo ed in largo. Onore al merito. Daltronde questa Cima era rimasta "al buio" più di tutte l'altre del circondario (a parte la Tour Grauson salita nel Luglio 1909 da George Yeld con Beniamino Pession) e per trovar la prima ascensione dobbiamo aspettare il celebre Reverendo W.B.A. Coolidge con Franz Gardiner e le altrettanto famose Guide Svizzere Christian e Rudolph Almer che la salgono il 3 Agosto 1891, come da "Oesterreichische Alpen Zeitung" 1891; ancora un'altra notizia in "Rivista Mensile C.A.I." 1898 a proposito d'una prima ascensione della Faccia Ovest dal Pas du Valaisan da parte di Agostino Ferrari con il Portatore B. Glarey di Cogne nel Settembre stesso anno. Della Cresta Nordest che sale dal Colle di Arbole si deve attendere la prima salita, almeno nota, di Gerolamo Segato (che poi cadrà con il fratello dalla Cresta Nord-nordest detta della "Scimitarra" della Grivola nel 1919) nell'Estate del 1910, dove vien presentatata come prima traversata. Poi la medesima cadrà nell'oblio fino agli Anni Trenta con la prima invernale del Dottor "Ansel" Falcoz.
Della Garin, invece B&V, descrivono, più dettagliatamente, quattro vie, ma anche codeste paion tratte più da bibliografia che non da personale conoscenza. Di questa ultima s'era a notizia, grazie "L'Alpinista" 1875, alla "Rivista Mensile" 1894 e 1897 e soprattutto alla descrizione d'una salita del 23 Agosto 1866 dell'Abbé Aimé Gorret e Compagni dalla Chaz-Fleurie in "Guide de la Vallée d'Aoste" 1877 dello stesso con Charles Bich, già anticipata dal "Bollettino del C.A.I." 1866. La prima salita degli Abati Balthazar Chamonin e Pierre Chanoux nel 1856, pur essendo non molto lontana nel tempo, si sperde nel mistero: si sà che partiron da Aosta e nulla più, come racconta l'Abbé Henry in "L'alpinisme et le Clergé Valdotain" 1905 e 1911 con informazioni private avute da Agostino Ferrari e poi da questo confermate in "Statistiche delle prime ascensioni nel Gruppo del Gran Paradiso" 1908 e nel "Bollettino C.A.I." dello stesso anno. Nulla di più, tanto che quando l'Abbé, "eliminata" la Punta Rossa dagli intenti immediati, mira alla Punta Garin ha le idee poco chiare e ben confuse. Però ci va. Così continua la sua esplorazione, ignorando che quella che sta per salire non é una cresta poi sì "verginella", perché, pur con qualche variante nella parte alta appoggiando nel canale della Parete Ovest, era stata già salita dalla cordata F.W. Oliver-C. Hiatt-C. Baker con la Star delle Guide Svizzere del tempo: il Grandissimo Alexander Burgener. Quell'era il primo giorno di Settembre 1894 ed a distanza di sole 24 ore patiran l'identica delusione di Questa e Mondini sulla Cresta Ovest dell'Emilius. Chi la fà l'aspetti dice il proverbio, ma lor eran di ciò ignari e comunque effettueranno il primo percorso completo se non integrale, perché al salto finale una piccola fuga a destra sulla Parete Sud la faran pur lor due ...

Giovedì 18: al Pic Garin con la Cresta Sudovest. " ... II. ASCENSIONE DELLA PUNTA O PICCO GARIN m. 3447 PER LA CRESTA SUD-OVEST
Il giovedi 18, terza giornata d'esplorazione fu la volta del Picco Garin. Tanto io che Comé non ne conoscevamo che il nome e ben poco le vie di accesso. Ne facemmo la salita per una cresta che probabilmente nessuno aveva mai seguito, cioé quella Sud-Ovest (la "Guida delle Alpi Occidentali, vol., parte 2°") di Bobba e Vaccarone descrive una via alla Punta Garin dal versante Sud-Ovest, per la quale si segue anche un tratto della cresta Sud-Ovest).
Il tempo si manteneva costantemente bello e tale si mantenne per tutta la settimana: era un incanto.
Noi usciamo dal nostro ricovero di Comboé a giorno fatto, dirigendoci alla volta dei casolari d'Arbole, e di qui al Colle d'Arpisson, o Bassa di Garin. Dal colle noi volgiamo a sinistra e bentosto ci troviamo presso un bellissimo lago verde in cui si riflette la cima del Picco Garin. Sulla carta questo lago non porta nessun nome, e noi lo chiamiamo Lago Garin. C'indirizziamo quindi a destra di esso e, fatti pochi passi, ci troviamo tra le rovine d'una antica città."


La Scoperta del Pueblo

"Che cos'é dunque questo? Nientemeno che dei muri, ma naturali, fatti di pietre tagliate orizzontalmente e disposte simmetricamente le une sopra le altre. V'ha tanto da essere ingannati. Qui i muri si vedono assai bene, là sonvi lembi di muro diroccato; altrove delle specie di cortili davanti a case ruinate, delle panche per sedere; in un angolo in mezzo ai quattro muri, il posto del focolare. Tutto ciò é così interessante e curioso che meriterebbe di partirsi d'Aosta per vederlo. Con una buona macchina fotografica si potrebbe farlo vedere questo a chi non può recarvisi."

La scalata

"A malincuore ci stacchiamo da quella città e ci dirigiamo verso una grande sporgenza, che sembra una spalla della cresta Sud-Ovest del Picco Garin. Giunti alla sommità della spalla, non senza aver impiegato mani e piedi, costeggiamo, tenendoci un pò a destra al disotto della cresta, e giungiamo infine ai piedi della piramide del Garin e della sua cresta Sud-Ovest, che deve condurci alla vetta. Veramente questa cresta ci dava da pensare; essa ci aveva già fatto riflettere bene quando eravamo ancora molto più in basso. Fino ai tre quarti essa sembrava accessibile ma verso la punta la cosa non era così. Venti o trenta metri al di sotto di questa, si scorgevano tre o quattro lastroni di roccia viva, che non presentavano alcun modo di aggrapparsi, né con le mani, né coi piedi. Ma perché tormentarci col pensiero dell'avvenire? Cominciamo a fare quel che si può; poi si vedrà.
Avanti dunque. Per un tratto si va bene; ma poi la salita diventa difficile. Bisogna passare per camini strettissimi, dove chi rimane ultimo riceve pietre da chi sta sopra. Tuttavia si sale e l'abisso s'ingrandisce attorno a noi. Si giunge infine ad un punto dove non c'é più mezzo di proseguire. Pieghiamo allora a destra e ci troviamo propriamente fra quei lastroni che scorgevamo dal basso. Proviamo di qua, proviamo di là; non c'é verso di andare avanti. Mi par di trovare le impressioni tormentose di chi si accinge a superare per la prima volta un passo o una punta vergine. Discendere é la disfatta; proseguire a qualunque costo é correre il rischio di trovarsi in un punto dove dove non si può più né andare avanti, né tornare indietro. Però, bisogna aprirsi una strada attraverso a quei lastroni, superati i quali, la via forse ritornerebbe più facile.
Comé scioglie la corda (é la prima e l'ultima volta che ne facciamo uso nella settimana). Ci leghiamo; quindi io m'accingo a cercare un passaggio, mentre Comé rimane fisso, immobile a tenermi. Adagino, adagino, e strisciando sulla rupe, faccio alcuni passi. Benché non molto distante (7 o 8 metri) da Comé, io non lo vedo più; mi attacco bene e lo chiamo forte che mi venga vicino. Dal punto ove mi trovo vedo che il rimanente del lastrone é meno difficile. Quando Comé mi sta vicino e si é solidamente fissato, salgo per una seconda lunghezza di corda, ed arrivo ad un nuovo lastrone quasi orizzontale e d'una composizione tutt'affato differente dai precedenti, dai quali é separato da un profondo solco. Prendo posizione; con una funicella ch'io getto a Comé ritiro le due piccozze che lo imbarazzano, dopo di che egli può raggiungermi. Le nostre pene sono finite; all'estremità del lastrone si scorge un passaggio facile che ci porta sulla vetta.
Sono le ore 3; abbiamo dunque impiegato 3 ore dal lago Garin. Troviamo le traccie di una carovana ivi giunta alcuni giorni prima. Dopo qualche momento di contemplazione, facendosi tardi, scendiamo per la cresta Nord-Nord-Est, in parte rocciosa in parte di ghiaccio, come si vede benissimo salendo sull'Emilius per la via ordinaria. Dopo un centinaio di metri di discesa, la cresta si presenta orizzontale per breve tratto, poi piega bruscamente verso ovest; infiliamo il primo couloir che si presenta su questo tratto piano, poi, con una scivolata su un nevato, ci ritroviamo al piccolo lago Garin, che abbiamo lasciato sulla nostra sinistra salendo. Lo lasciamo ancora a nostra sinistra nel ritorno; poi, per la Bassa di Garin, o Colle d'Arpisson, ed i chalets di Arbole, giungiamo al nostro albergo di Comboé a dormire sopra un ottimo fieno secco."


Si chiude il Viaggio con una bella escursione

Raggiunti tutti gli obiettivi principali, i nostri due compiono una bella passeggiata "defaticante" e, partendo dal loro rifugio, si portano sulla cresta spartiacque tra il Vallone di Comboé ed il Bacino di Pila, che allora non era ancora un Resort bensì una grande prateria atta al pascolo in mezzo a belle foreste di pini, abeti e larici, dove apparivano qua e là pochi alpeggi sparsi. Incontrano il minuscolo Osservatorio Astronomico Sismonda e con un percorso contemplativo, tale da far loro vedere, come in una cartolina, tutto ciò che avevano realizzato nei precedenti giorni. Forse proprio per maggiormente gustarlo. Arrivano al Lago di Chamolé, doppiano sulla destra (Ovest) la Testa Nera (2820 m) e raggiungono il Plan de l'Eyve (Piano dell'Acqua) un secondo e più "nascosto" bacino che porta con un facile sentiero al Colle di Tsa Setze (2815 m); da questo salgono alla Punta della Valletta (3090 m) tramite la Cresta Sudovest, una via facile ma esposta, raramente frequentata nel passato mentre oggi é stata tramutata in Via Ferrata. Da questo grande balcone, dalla sommità del quale si possono vedere simultaneamente i campanili di Aosta a Nord e Cogne a Sudest, ancora di più si godono quanto realizzato, aprendosi a ventaglio di fronte a loro tutte le cime del Monte Emilius. Scendono per il contrafforte Settentrionale della medesima e, oltrepassato il Mont Bellefaçe (2970 m), raggiungono la Testa Nera, il Colle di Chamolé e lago. Infine ritornano al Comboé al loro "rifugio" in attesa della discesa pel giorno appresso verso Aosta passando per l'Eremo di San Grato (1787 m), allora oggetto di grandi Processioni per onorare il Santo Patrono della Città. A quei tempi non esistevano impianti e piste da sci e neppure la Strada Regionale, per la quale cosa con una discesa interminabile, ma in mezzo ad una Natura meravigliosa ed incontaminata, raggiungono il fondovalle passando il Fiume Dora Baltea all'antico Pont Suaz (567 m), vera porta di ingresso al soprastante Paradiso. Anche noi ...


Venerdì 19: traversata dal Signal Sismonda al Colle Tsa Setze e da questo alla Punta della Valletta con rientro tramite il Mont Bellefaçe, Testa Nera e Lago di Chamolé. " ... Il quarto giorno, venerdì 19, non fu che una passeggiata. Salimmo al Signale Sismonda, d'onde passammo al lago di Chamolé, poi al Colle di Tsa-sèche che guida ad Arpisson, e di là a Cogne. Dal Colle di Tsa-sèche ritornammo a Comboé seguendo tutta la cresta della Valletta, cioé: La Valletta, Bella Faça, Testa Nera del lago di Chamolé, e Comboé. Il domani, sabato, scendemmo ad Aosta pel Colle Plan Fenetre e l'Hermitage. Con la diligenza delle ore tre ritornai prosaicamente a Saint Pierre; la poesia era finita".

CONCLUSIONE


"Le escursioni di tutti questi giorni scorsi, e soprattutto la scalata della Punta Garin per la cresta Sud-Ovest, sono i più bei ricordi della mia vita alpinistica. Tra le cime più alte ch'io ho salito: Monte Bianco, Cervino, Grand Combin, Grivola, Velan, Dente del Gigante, Gran Paradiso, Grand Nomenon, queste due ultime in inverno, altri senza guide, non m'avvenne mai di gustar tanta gioia come in questa settimana benedetta.
Un tempo splendido, senza vento, né nubi, il fascino dell'incognito e del nuovo, tratta tratto delle difficoltà vere, il piacere di scoprire da sé stesso la via, invece di seguirla pecorilmente dietro le guide, il tutto riunito mi ha procurato un diletto indicibile.
Io desidererei vivamente che per salire il Garin si seguisse la medesima cresta percorsa da noi e non dubito che si provi la stessa impressione da noi provata. Questa cresta non é facile, ma nemmeno difficile; dà un pò da studiare, poiché non solo le gambe sono in giuoco, ma anche lo spirito. Gli alpinisti novizi, che volessero misurare le loro forze, farebbero bene di tentare quest'impresa. Tuttavia sarà più prudente d'essere in tre ... Abate Giuseppe Henry (Sezione di Aosta).


Ma anche noi ...





Comments

No comments posted yet.