Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 45.81605°N / 123.88456°W
Additional Information County: Clatsop
Activities Activities: Hiking, Bouldering, Scrambling
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Elevation: 3057 ft / 932 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

According to McArthur, this peak was named for the wild onions growing near the summit. If you’ve ever drove Hwy 101 around Nehalem Bay and looked North into the surrounding hills, you’ve seen Onion Peak. It’s one of the highest points in Clatsop County, and its rugged summit makes it an outstanding landmark. This peak is east-northeast of Arch Cape and about two miles north of the south line of the county. To the west, about 1.25 miles (as the crow flies), is the unofficially named West Onion Peak, a peak with 2000’ + of prominence. Onion peak is part of a rugged ridge that encircles the Ecola Creek basin. The views from the summit are 360 deg.
There are only a couple of ways to the summit from the base of this peak. A tough bushwhacking scramble up the west side, several deep gully climbs that may not even lead to the summit, or some technical rock climbing over large boulders and scrambling through thick brush or a technical rock climb up the shear south face.
I've just started exploring this large rugged area. There appears to be a lot of rock for bouldering and for Trad climbing.
Looking northeast at...

Getting There

TOPO! of area...
This is the coastal range…most of this land is owned by the big timber companies. The east side of Onion Peak is part of the Clatsop State Forest and, unfortunately, is completely surrounded by timber company land. The only way in to this area is by logging road. This time of year all these roads are closed (gated). After a lot of research, I’ve found the shortest distance to the base of Onion Peak is about 6.75 miles. The gate you will park at is off Hwy 101 approximately 1.6 miles north of the Arch Cape tunnel and about .5 mile south of Hug Point state park. For you GPS carriers, the gate is located at 45.82444N x 123.96103W.
This road is called Hug Point road. From the gate walk this road for 2.6 miles. You’ll pass several smaller roads, just stay on this main road. At 2.6 miles you’ll come to an intersection leading straight or dogleg left. Go left…you’re now on Onion Peak road. Walk this road for about 4.25 miles to the base of Onion Peak. Rest a bit, and then start your expedition to the summit.

Red Tape

I just found out this gate, and about a mile inside the gate, is now owned by Stimson Lumber. They had advised me there is absolutely NO ENTRY past the gate. Not even during hunting season.

Enter at your own risk or find another way in…

For more info call Stimson Lumber @ 503-357-2131


Camping

Overnight camping is not allowed on timber company land…
Nearest campground is in Oswald D. West State Park at Short Sand Beach.
Also Nehalem Bay State Park

When To Climb

Year round

Area Weather Conditions

For Current Conditions click here



Misc. Information

Cell phone reception is strong at the summit.

Additions and CorrectionsPost an Addition or Correction

Viewing: 1-2 of 2

dpickering - Sep 10, 2012 6:25 pm - Hasn't voted

Sensitive habitat on Onion Peak

I would like to let everyone know that the top of Onion Peak harbors a unique plant community that contains over half a dozen rare plants. These plants are growing in the very shallow soils of the grassy bald and among the rock outcroppings so they are vulnerable to hikers’ boots dislodging or crushing them. Another threat to this habitat is invasive non-native plants that can be transported into the area on hikers’ boots. So if you do visit Onion Peak, please try to avoid damaging this fragile habitat and remove any seeds from your boots before you go. Thank you!

mikej - Apr 11, 2014 11:35 am - Hasn't voted

additional comment

Entry information is posted on sign at the aforementioned gate. Quite a bit of logging has been occuring recently and for that reason there is no entry of any kind during logging hours. Since they do not allow overnight stays that would allow full day hikes only on weekends as entry for recreational purposes is allowed for foot traffic only. Also the logging companies would prefer no entry of any kind even on evenings and weekends during active logging periods due to vandal risks to their equipment.

Viewing: 1-2 of 2


Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

Oregon Coast RangeMountains & Rocks