Organ Mountain Climber's Log

Viewing: 1-14 of 14
Matt Lemke

Matt Lemke - Jun 25, 2020 5:29 pm

NW ridge  Sucess!

Fun solo walk

chicagotransplant

chicagotransplant - Aug 28, 2017 1:44 pm Date Climbed: Aug 27, 2017

East Slopes and San Luis  Sucess!

With Rachael. East slopes via Hondo Canyon. Trail was better than expected and not that hard to follow. Fizzled out near treeline but at that point it didn't matter as it was easy to find our way to the ridge. Traversed over to San Luis by dropping off the north side and contouring over to the SL trail, thus avoiding the "ghastly gash". Had heard mixed reviews on that route and just decided not to deal with the loose parts and skip it.

Liba Kopeckova

Liba Kopeckova - Sep 17, 2014 12:43 am Date Climbed: Sep 16, 2014

Nice autumn day  Sucess!

Nice hike with Duchess via Hondo Canyon.
We have done San Luis already twice, and Duchess needed an easier route. She did so great for an old lady (14.5 year old dog) - jumping logsā€¦ now resting on couch.

rockymountaindiva

rockymountaindiva - Jul 26, 2013 7:15 pm Date Climbed: Sep 30, 2010

Hondo route  Sucess!

Already plenty of snow!

theREALCarpeDM

theREALCarpeDM - Sep 5, 2011 5:49 pm Date Climbed: Sep 2, 2011

Kinda Fonda Hondo  Sucess!

After Stewart et al on 9/1, slept in the car at the wrong Eddiesville TH. Misread the Roachs' directions. I should have parked 1/4 mile further down the road -- near the gate past the horse corral. I figured it out the next morning -- only after starting out on the wrong trail, then took a little time to find the Canon Hondo trail. But once I did, it was glorious! LOTS of deadfall, but the trail is pretty easy to follow up to treeline. Like the day before, saw no one on the trail all day.

strudolyubov

strudolyubov - Jul 3, 2011 1:51 pm Date Climbed: Jul 2, 2011

West Ridge from San Luis  Sucess!

West Ridge traverse after climbing San Luis Peak from Stewart Creek. Descended East Slopes route. Fun scrambling, nice weather, great views.

Kiefer

Kiefer - Jun 27, 2011 5:57 pm Date Climbed: Jun 26, 2011

Via Cebolla TH  Sucess!

We (Stephanie Lynn) attempted this via the West Ridge (Organ Pipes) but were turned around by the gash...no place for a dog!
Went back up the next day via the standard route and summited. Descended the South Slopes to the Colorado Trail and took the Bondholder trail back to Cebolla trail to the Jeep.
Seriously long day.

Summited Point 13,155 as well.
(The volcanic plug across and south from San Luis)

SarahThompson

SarahThompson - Sep 10, 2008 2:47 pm Date Climbed: Jun 18, 2005

Twice  Sucess!

6/18/05 - Organ's west ridge provides some fun scrambling and routefinding but also has sections of scree and loose rock. Near the gash we had to cross a gully full of snow and I recommend an ice axe early in the season. Scrambling up the strange organ pipes to the summit is the highlight of this route in my opinion - its easy and fun and the rock formations are very cool.

1/5/18 - Solo winter ascent from Stewart Creek TH in very dry conditions. Along with Baldy Alto & Organ Mountain in an 11 hour day.

slowbutsteady

slowbutsteady - Sep 13, 2007 11:09 pm Date Climbed: Aug 14, 2006

Hondo Canyon route  Sucess!

Hiked Hondo Canyon Route noted in the Roach 13NR book. Camped at Eddiesville TRH. Left camp at 5AM, on top 10:10AM. Trail up drainage in forest was only lost a few times. Great organ pipes visible if you hike down from summit a little and look back up. So serene and quiet this day. Back to camp at 3:30PM

Brian Kalet

Brian Kalet - Aug 20, 2007 12:34 pm Date Climbed: Aug 18, 2007

West Ridge  Sucess!

From 13285, 13180, 13155 & San Luis Peak. To San Luis Peak. 9 hours roundtrip.

altitude14er

altitude14er - Jul 4, 2007 2:39 am Date Climbed: Jun 30, 2007

Route Climbed: West Ridge - San Luis Combo  Sucess!

A fascinating peak due to its volcanic rocks that compose the shapely summit and southern cliffs. I highly recommend this peak, an excellent outing if climbed via the West Ridge.

doumall

doumall - Jul 13, 2005 3:31 pm

Route Climbed: North Slopes Date Climbed: July 2, 2005  Sucess!

Started with Organ then went over the west ridge to San Luis. Saw a Bull Moose!

DharmaBum1984

DharmaBum1984 - May 7, 2005 2:18 am

Route Climbed: West Ridge Date Climbed: August 1996  Sucess!

I also climbed this peak after San Luis. Although I can't see how anyone can justify calling a peak in the La Garitas "boring," I found Organ more rewarding as there was nobody on the summit--always a big plus.

bc44caesar

bc44caesar - Aug 17, 2004 9:23 pm

Route Climbed: West Ridge Date Climbed: 7 Aug 2004  Sucess!

After a boring climb of San Luis Peak I decided to traverse to Organ Mountain to try and salvage the day. It turned out to be one of the most fun climbs I've done in the San Juans! The south face is a striking sight compared to the surrounding peaks and the route was very engaging and exciting. It's amazing that people trudge up to the top of San Luis just because it is 14,000' tall and ignore a great climb that is right next door!

Viewing: 1-14 of 14
Return to 'Organ Mountain' main page