Viewing: 1-6 of 6
EastKing

EastKing - Nov 21, 2010 3:46 am - Voted 10/10

Awesome TR and photos!

Two times in 72 hours is great feat. That mountain is on my short list. Thanks for sharing. Also though put one of those awesome photos as a signature pic.

FortheLoveoftheGame

FortheLoveoftheGame - Nov 21, 2010 11:46 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Awesome TR and photos!

Hey thanks man! I'm glad you liked it. It's a good mountain - has a very unique feel from the summit as the valley to the West is 10,000ft below and to the East it rolls off into the Gulf of Mexico.

My spanish wasn't the best when I arrived, but I still managed to figure out the logistics. Here's a synopsis if you're interested:

1) Fly into Puebla
2) Take taxi to CAPU (or a hotel near CAPU if you arrive after ~6 - there are several just a few blocks away). (~170 pesos)
3) Go to the "AU" bus company's booth (it was on the left side immediately after entering from the taxi drop-off). Get a ride to Tlachichuca (~45 pesos)
4) Tlachichuca is the end of the line, so don't worry about falling asleep on the bus or missing your stop - everybody will be getting off there (I was a little concerned as we were driving in the clouds for most of the time and I had no way of recognizing Tlachichuca by its proximity to Pico)
5) Find your desired hotel in Tlachichuca and ask if they can direct you to the sanctuario del virgen de Guadalupe (on a hill N of town) - there's a nice little trail there for a mild acclimatization walk if you have extra time on your hands.
6) Get to the Piedra hut and enjoy!

EastKing

EastKing - Nov 24, 2010 7:24 pm - Voted 10/10

Re: Awesome TR and photos!

Awesome info. Thanks. I will bookmark this for my possible trip next October

mcorbs28

mcorbs28 - Sep 22, 2011 12:07 pm - Voted 10/10

congrats on 2 summits

contrats sounds like quite the adventure, especially on that first summit day.
I got a question for you, I'm heading there in December, how did you get from Tlachichuca to Piedra hut, did you hire through a service, hitch a ride, reserve a ride in advance? and what did it cost roughly. Thanks

FortheLoveoftheGame

FortheLoveoftheGame - Sep 22, 2011 1:37 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: congrats on 2 summits

Glad to hear you're heading there! If I remember correctly, I got a ride through the Servimont (Sr. Reyes' place), and the costs depends on how many other people are going up with you. By yourself, it can be around 300 pesos, but if you manage to hop on a ride with many other people, it can be as few as 50. Both major lodging services in Tlach can tell you which days they are expecting to drive how many people up, so if you have some flexibility you can wait for a cheaper day. It wouldn't be impossible to hitch a ride up there, especially during a holiday as families sporadically come to visit the hut, but it could significantly delay your summit bid.

If you're concerned about both cost and time, I'd ask both of the major services in Tlach on the day you arrive and hop on board the one that offers you the cheaper fare (which, as said above, is a function of the no. of passengers).

mcorbs28

mcorbs28 - Sep 23, 2011 12:44 am - Voted 10/10

Re: congrats on 2 summits

thanks a lot, hopefully with a bit of luck i can hop on a truck for cheap, if not it's all apart of the adventure. thanks again!

Viewing: 1-6 of 6
Return to 'Orizaba solo - early November 2010' main page