Osorno volcano Climber's Log

Viewing: 1-8 of 8

jack__barker - Feb 27, 2018 4:44 pm Date Climbed: Feb 19, 2018

Nice climb  Sucess!

Snow was very hard, alpine ice at times, From the Teski refugio door to door it was a relaxing climb of about 10 hours. I would recommend a few pickets and screws, especially if all climbers only have one ice axe. Route up to the glacier is very straight forward. Make sure to check in with CONAF. Always helpful to show mountaineering club membership.These were the gear requirements in summer 2018..

Casco (helmet)
Gorro (warm hat or hood)
Lentes (glacier glasses)
Guantes (gloves)
Anorak (parka)
Botiquin (first aid kit)
Arnes (harness)
Polainas (gaitors)
Zapatos (boots, leathers will suffice)
Crampones
Mosquetones (carabiners)
Cordines (cordellte)
Piolet (axe, at least one per person)
Cuerda dianm. (dynamic rope)
Cell phone

teddycricket83

teddycricket83 - Aug 9, 2015 3:29 am Date Climbed: Apr 10, 2012

smoking  Sucess!

Got to see Puyehue erupting from the summit, which was cool

Jesus Malverde

Jesus Malverde - Jan 3, 2013 3:16 pm Date Climbed: Dec 21, 2012

Dice, no dice

thought the stars had aligned when the one day I had to climb showed "sunny and clear" for the weather in an otherwise week of bad climbing weather. Hah! We made it to the top of the ski lift when the realization set in that this Eager Beaver probably wasn't going any higher today. Still, we spent a couple of hours in the "container" warming and waiting for that optimistic forecast. Qui audet adipiscitur? Hah! Dios Dice: No dice and back to Telski to warm the bones.

gmiddleton

gmiddleton - Dec 5, 2012 9:39 am Date Climbed: Dec 24, 2005

Volcan Orsono Christmas Eve Climb  Sucess!

7am at the old ski resort parking lot, along with Ted and Toast (Ted's dog) saw our start to climbing Orsono. Hiked about 300m to glacier and out of our santa sacks came crampons, harness, helmet and rope. Snow/ice travel between 20-40 degrees until bergshrund. Crossing of bergshrund aided by snow bridge. Slope steepened to between 45-55 degrees to summit field (big enough to circle around the tree with the entire [extended] family!). Returned via the same route. Total climbing time around 4 hours.

Baarb

Baarb - Feb 12, 2010 3:46 pm Date Climbed: Feb 10, 2010

So so close...

Stayed at the refugio and finally got some beautiful weather after 2 weeks of rain. Pretty straight forward getting up, no crevasses on the direct normal route. Got within 50 m of the top when both crampons of one of our party spontaneously self-destructed. Ah well, views were great and was fun all the same. Hasta siguiente!

CBakwin

CBakwin - Mar 2, 2009 9:59 am Date Climbed: Jan 21, 2009

yo

My brother and I were in the area and we had some Kahtoola crampons and running shoes, and light ice axes, so we decided to give this a try. Fairly straightforward, we got maybe 1-200m short of the top and judged it to be to steep to continue with our gear, so didn't summit. Took about 4 hours up, 2 down. Hard packed icy snow, the sun hits the route later in the day so probably want to start early.

Igor Czs

Igor Czs - May 10, 2006 12:18 am Date Climbed: Feb 3, 2000

variation of the normal route  Sucess!

Beautiful volcano. We took a variation from the normal route.
No powder snow and very icy.Beautiful views from the top.

Pedro Hauck

Pedro Hauck - Nov 13, 2003 8:19 pm

Route Climbed: normal Date Climbed: march 2000  Sucess!

beautifull

Viewing: 1-8 of 8
Return to 'Osorno volcano' main page